Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Share |

Subfloor pet staining

I was reading over another post about the same issue with pet stains on a wooden subfloor. I have a few days off and my wife has been asking for months to remove the old 80's carpet and install a laminate wood flooring. We recently used laminate wood flooring in the foyer and we are going to continue to the den. From the other post most recommend replacing the damaged subfloors. This subflooring material is something I haven't seen much of. It looks like pressed board but it's not OSB. This subfloor is used in an addition that was added to house in 80's and it meets up to the original plywood subfloor. The thickness of the press board and plywood is 5/8". My wife had the same idea of using KILZ and prime the subfloor which is a good idea. (pictures attached)

What would you recommend? We do not have any pets so the fix would be permanent.
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor pet staining-subfloor-1.jpg   Subfloor pet staining-subfloor-2.jpg   Subfloor pet staining-subfloor-3.jpg   Subfloor pet staining-subfloor-4.jpg  

marriedmanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Subfloor pet staining

EWWWW! That's easy. The disaster clean up people use original Kilz oil base to seal in the odors. You should put down a couple of coats. If it's the first floor of a house I'd check the crawl apace and put lime over any suspect areas.

edit: I think the subfloor is MDF (fiberboard). If it gets very wet it swells and disintegrates. If it's swelling in any area you should sand it down before Kilzing.

Last edited by Arlo; 10-17-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Subfloor pet staining

Just looks like plywood to me.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Subfloor pet staining

I have seen alot of mdf. 1. Never as a subfloor and 2. Never with grain
big juicy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Tileguy

Subfloor pet staining

It's most likely particle board, bad stuff! It's best if you put it at the curb if at all possible. But......................

Read about Zinsser products. I think this one is the best choice. For severe stains and to permanently block odors use Zinsser B-I-NŽ Ultimate Stain Blocker.

http://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/Dig...ler%20TDS.ashx

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

Subfloor pet staining

What are you putting on top ?
charliebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Subfloor pet staining

Sorry. I meant to say that looks like PARTICLE BOARD. Jazman has a better vocabulary than me. It's like peg board but it doesn't have holes. If that's what you have I remove it. It swells and crumbles when it gets wet. I don't know why I called it MDF other than I hate them both. It looks like some of the floor is plywood and some patched an area with particle board.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Tileguy

Subfloor pet staining

Arlo,

Just as an aside for clarification; pegboard is tempered masonite, not MDF or particle board.

I agree with everything else you said.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

Subfloor pet staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Sorry. I meant to say that looks like PARTICLE BOARD. Jazman has a better vocabulary than me. It's like peg board but it doesn't have holes. If that's what you have I remove it. It swells and crumbles when it gets wet. I don't know why I called it MDF other than I hate them both. It looks like some of the floor is plywood and some patched an area with particle board.
This particle board was only used in the addition that was built about 10 years after orginial house build. It buts up to the orginial plywood. I guess it was used for lower cost. Is it safe to use? I have already began to cover up the pet stains on it using KILZ. It's 5/8" thick and I'll be installing a wood laminate floor with 2mm foam padding with vapor barrier. This is on 2nd floor of ranch with basement so moisture should not be to much of problem from below I would assume.

On the particle board I saw a stamp that all I could make out was MILL 44 and a formaldehyde warning.

Thanks to all for the help.

marriedmanw is offline   Reply With Quote