Subfloor Moisture Content For Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Subfloor moisture content for hardwood

First off, thanks to anyone for the responses. I am planning the hardwood install over a crawl space. I'm leaning towards solid but possibly engineered. I tested the moisture content of the subfloor with a general meter with pins. Results ranging from 11-12 percent. Is that pushing it too close. I live in the St. Louis area and it has been raining on and off for the last 4 days. Would it b

Advertisement

jjones1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

http://www.woodfloorsonline.com/tech...oodwater4.html

Make sure there's a 6 mil. plastic vaper barrier on the ground in that crawl space.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

There was sheets randomly spread out. I took it out and put down black 6 mil over the entire ground
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Retired & Not Likin' It

Rewards Points: 75

I hope you didn't just spread some plastic and call it good. Seams must be overlapped and taped. The idea is not to give ground moisture vapor a path to your flooring. Even untaped seams will allow MV through.

Your new flooring comes with instructions. In those instructions should be information about the percentage of moisture allowable. It could be stated that subfloor and hardwood should be within 4% of each other. It depends on the product and the construction (solid is different than engineered). Most critical is the acclimation of your material to the room. It's not measured in hours or days, it takes what it takes.

R'gards,

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

I overlapped them about a foot, but didn't tape it. I guess I'll be heading back down there. So I need to seal the edges to the foundation also? How should I go about that.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

The manufacturers say not to exceed 13%. 12 seems to be cutting it close to me.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I am a hardwood installer from the De Soto area south of St. Louis. I would go with an engineered hardwood. It is much more stable than solid. As Jim said you must acclimate to wood to the areas being covered. In our area I have alway keeped the moisture content of the wood and subfloor within 2%, 3% at most. As stated, how ever long it takes, it takes. I just finished a house in Florissant (1400 SF) that took 3 weeks to acclimate. With the engineered floor you will find less shrinkage in the winter when the heat comes on. Solid will be much more noticable gapes.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
Jim McClain (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

I've looked at tongue and groove engineered to nail down and click lock engineered. The click lock seems appealing. Any opinions?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Purchase the wood with the thickest wear layer you can afford. Some of the engineered woods have a very thin wear layer and will not last as long. Get the best your wallet can afford. As far as nail or click, I don't believe it matters as long as your subfloor is flat enough for the floating click lock.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Floating is easier then nail down of course but you alos will get a "hollow" sound that most people do not care for. Engineered flooring is more stable but your situation sounds like you are within the parrameters needed for solid. Keep in mind that solid floors can be resanded more then engineered. No matter what you do make sure you put a moisture barrier under the flooring itself. Your crawl space size and venting is also a factor.

Advertisement

skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote