Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor leveling help for hardwood

Need some advice...Planning on installing hardwood this weekend and came across an unexpected issue last night prepping the subfloor.

As I pulled up the carpet and tile where the new hardwood will be, I notcied that the builder had put an additional 3/8" subfloor under the tiled area so the two subfloor levels are not the same. I'm trying to get advice as to whether I should just put down 3/8" plywood or OSB where the carpet was to bring the two areas level or if I should try to cut out and pry up the 3/8" where the tile was.

To give an idea, the total area is 650 sq. ft. but the current area that has the extra 3/8" subfloor is only about 150 sq. ft. max. The other issue is that the kitchen cabinets are sitting on top of this extra 3/8" subfloor so I'd have to cut around them and tear out if I go that route....

Thoughts?

Rhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Subfloor leveling help for hardwood

You may find tearing up that 3/8" layer to be more work than laying it in the rest of the house. Cutting it out around the cabinets may also be more difficult than removing the cabinets and re-installing them. I can generally remove cabinets for re-use in about 1 hour (average size kitchen) assuming no granite counter top.

A little more support on the rest of the floor wont hurt anything but make sure you lay any new plywood in the opposite direction of the existing sub-floor. I usually glue it down to prevent squeaking issues. I think you may find this faster than demo on the existing stuff especially if that is glued down also (may or may not be). One last thing put sound deadening underlayment (it comes in rolls) down this greatly reduces the echo effect a lot of people don't like about wood floors.

ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote