Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |

subfloor for laminate and tiles

My house was built in 1990. I'm replacing carpet with laminate (8mm). I'm not 100% sure about the thickness of the subfloor. I see only one layer - it's probably 3/4" thick (is it industry standard ?)

couple questions:
1) is this subfloor good enough for laminate ?

2) In kitchen, I currently have vinyl (or lino). I plan to replace it with tiles. I know I need to add at least 1/2" subfloor before laying tiles. Cement board seems to be the recommended choice. Is 1/2" plywood okay too ?? What are the choices I have ?

3) With additional 1/2" subfloor + thickness of tiles, the kitchen floor will be at least 1/2"-5/8" higher than the rest of the floor (laminate + underlayment). Will it look bad ?

Thanks !!

mf915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #2

2. Are you talking about installing ceramic tile here?, if so, the vinyl and any 1/4" underlayment that might be under it has to be removed first.

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #3

after doing some research on the internet, I finally realized the material is not plywood. It's 3/4" OSB.

#2 - yes, I'm talking about ceramic tile. I know I will need to get rid of the vinyl and 1/4" board (particle board or something). And then add another layer of subfloor (because 3/4" OSB is not strong enough for ceramic floor tile). I want to know what type of material i should get for this 2nd layer of subfloor. 1/2" cement board ? or 1/2" OSB ? or 1/2" plywood ?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #4

3/4" OSB is acceptable and is bare minimum, I would add 1/2" plywood over the osb, then 1/4" cementboard or a membrane.

Backerboards don't add any strength to a subfloor.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #5

okay.. thanks.

when adding 1/4" plywood over existing OSB, I can use screws or nails. Do i need to add anything in between (adhesive ?).

I know i have to add thinset mortar between cement board and plywood, right ?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&D Tile
2. Are you talking about installing ceramic tile here?, if so, the vinyl and any 1/4" underlayment that might be under it has to be removed first.
R&D Tile: Question for you: My 3rd generation tile guy just did the floor and shower in my last bathroom renovation. We went through and used deck screws thru the existing old glued tile squares (not Ceramic tile) floor....We screwed down into the floor joists to make sure the 1" subfloor was down tight. His installers then added 1/4 " Durarock attached with 1 1/2" laminated screws. Then, normal installation of ceramic tile over that. Came out great and is wearing great...no problems....
He warranties his work for the life of the house.
Am I missing something?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-16-2006 at 07:41 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
renovations

" when adding 1/4" plywood"

re-read the post, you willl need 1/2" ply. You don't want to make the mistake of underbuilding under tiles, if something goes wrong it's very hard, and expensive, to repair. Good luck.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf915
okay.. thanks.

when adding 1/4" plywood over existing OSB, I can use screws or nails. Do i need to add anything in between (adhesive ?).

I know i have to add thinset mortar between cement board and plywood, right ?

Thanks
Never use 1/4" plywood, use 1/2", then 1/4" cbu or a membrane.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst.
R&D Tile: Question for you: My 3rd generation tile guy just did the floor and shower in my last bathroom renovation. We went through and used deck screws thru the existing old glued tile squares (not Ceramic tile) floor....We screwed down into the floor joists to make sure the 1" subfloor was down tight. His installers then added 1/4 " Durarock attached with 1 1/2" laminated screws. Then, normal installation of ceramic tile over that. Came out great and is wearing great...no problems....
He warranties his work for the life of the house.
Am I missing something?
If he screwed through peel and stick vinyl, then set Durock over that without thinset, good luck, might last forever or maybe a year, who knows, only time will tell, hold tight onto that lifetime warranty.:D

What you are missing is that you shouldn't be tiling over a vinyl product, and any 1/4" underlayments that might be under it.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi R&D Tile,

a.) Sorry to hijack this thread.

b.) NO, there is no 1/4" underlayment, it is all solid 1". The tile squares are old...installed in early 70's. Like what you would see in School floor installs back then....and earlier

Not sure what it was called....
Brain memory thing (Gettin older)...

I trust the guy, as I said, he is 3rd Gen. tile installer. Not just by his own testiment....
One of our jobs we are working on now is for a lady that had hired his uncle 30 years ago to do all their tile work, that they were extremely happy with.

I would just like to get your 2 cents and more....

Information is education....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-17-2006 at 08:08 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #11

Probably Asbestos tile over cutback adhesive, are they brittle, hard and 9" square.?

They were hardly used over wood, usually see them over concrete slabs or basement floors, like I said earlier, tiling over any vinyl product can be risky, just tap on one of those tile, if they are what I descibed and see how easy they pop up or break apart.