DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Subfloor Help

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Awoodfloorguy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum.

I am working on my living room and had to pull up the carpet and remove it due to water damage. What I found under it was 1/2 particle board as an underlayment and under that is 1/2 plywood as the subfloor. This house was built in 1976, I have basement access to the subfloor above.

I removed the 1/2 particle board due to its condition. The 1/2 plywood is a little bouncy in spots. What I want to do is put in a Bamboo Floating floor, so I am thinking about adding another 1/2 Plywood underlayment, if I go this route, what do I use as far as nails and screws, do I use glue? Do I screw it to the joists or not? Do I put a paper layer between the two sheets of plywood?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Mark

#2 ·
Want to fix it right and once and for all?
If you want it right get rid of the 1/2 and use 3/4" Advantec T X G. Constrution adhesive on the joist and ring shank nails of ceramic coated deck screws to attach it to the joist.
The old subfloor can be cut out with a Tow Kick saw and an ossilating saw or sawsall.
That 1/2" subfloor in not doing you any favors.

#4 ·
Joe's suggestion is very good, but sometimes it's not practical to remove the subfloor or it may actually cause other problems. Either method is good.

Years ago homes were built with 1/2" cheapo ply subfloor then covered with a good quality 5/8" underlayment to receive the vinyl floor once the construction mess was over. In the era your house was built most builders changed to a single and thicker subfloor system and let the flooring company prep for the vinyl.

A single 3/4" might be stiffer than two 1/2", but you'd be fine with either. If you just add 1/2" B/C exposure 1 ply, yes of course you have to offset the seams both ways. Do not glue unless you can do a 100% lamination, (very doubtful), and space the sheets about 1/8" Normally underlayment is not fastened to the joists, only to the subfloor, but with only 1/2" subfloor the screws may not bite enough. You won't know until you you do it.

Absolutely no paper or plastic between sheets. Is there a basement, or crawl? Follow installation directions for any moistures tests for the bamboo.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.