Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

subfloor for hardwood

I am planning on putting a hardwood floor in a second floor bedroom. After removing the carpet, I found a subfloor consisting of:
1) a layer of plywood (thickness unknown but I suspect inch),
2) feltpaper,
3) 5/8 inch particle board underlayment.

I am planning to nail or staple the new hardwood floor to the subfloor.

Questions:
Do I have to remove the particle board underlayment?

Would it be OK to nail the new floor to the particle board if the nails are long enough to reach the plywood?

The new floor will be 5/8 inch thick tongue and groove bamboo. How long would the nails need to be to reach the plywood?

lrs_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

subfloor for hardwood

No flooring manufacturer I know of will warrantee flooring installed over particle board. I'd remove it personally, but if the floor never gets wet, in truth, you'll probably be fine. But, like I said, I'd remove it & make sure that your subfloor is 3/4". If it's only 1/2", you'll need to add at least 1/4" subfloor, but 3/8" would be better.

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
msv
Hardwood pro

subfloor for hardwood

nail-down on particle board is a NO-NO.... eventually, you WILL get squeaks from nails/staples coming loose in your particle board. i'd get it out now, instead of later when you also have to rip out the flooring...
also, i keep reading about people wanting to install flooring with nails, not staples... honestly, i don't see how finish naile could hold a floor down for a long time without eventually coming loose and giving you squeaks, movement in the floor and other "nice surprises" like that... am I the only one?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #4

subfloor for hardwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post
nail-down on particle board is a NO-NO.... eventually, you WILL get squeaks from nails/staples coming loose in your particle board. i'd get it out now, instead of later when you also have to rip out the flooring...
also, i keep reading about people wanting to install flooring with nails, not staples... honestly, i don't see how finish naile could hold a floor down for a long time without eventually coming loose and giving you squeaks, movement in the floor and other "nice surprises" like that... am I the only one?

I use regular flooring nails. L cleats as a matter of fact. They're kinda like a ring shank nail, they've got ribs, seration, whatever term you want to use to describe them. I've done a lot of demo over the years. L cleats, hand nails & staples. The stapled floors come up the easiest of all of them.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

subfloor for hardwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post

The instructions that come with bamboo sometimes include using 15 guage finish nails. I did it, and it's been working out a lot better than the same type of bamboo stapled. I think being an engineered product must have something to do with it.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
msv
Hardwood pro

subfloor for hardwood

i was reffering to 3/4" flooring, and finish nails, not cleats. i know how durable cleats(ribbed L shaped) are, i've had my share of demmo. i hear people telling me about installing whole floors using only finish nails.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #7

subfloor for hardwood

Nope, wouldn't ever just use finish nails. Before I got my face nailer, I would use my 15 guage air nailer to face nail the first few & last few courses of a floor.

I've removed a lot of flooring that used #6 common nails. Typically turn of the century to the 1930's homes. 1950's homes around here often times are blind nailed with screw shanks, kinda like you'd use to nail down particle board. Those are the worst demo jobs.