Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Subfloor and framing

Hello,

I'm doing a basement renovation. I found my exterior framing sitting directly on concrete, no insulation or subfloor under.
I'll redo all the subfloor, with Dricore panels.
Now, my question is should I redo the framing for the exterior walls and set it on top of the new subfloor ?
Jut to mention, house is about 50 years old, and this is probably the first major renovation. I've took down everything, but don't know what to do with this framing. Is in good condition, is solid, maybe a bit off alignment and in some places is not 16" in between joist, but nothing major.
Any suggestion ?

Cheers

mircea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 212

Subfloor and framing

Yes, post some pictures and be clearer on what you have now.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Subfloor and framing

Doing the same thing in a 58 year old basement with dricore (local supplier called SubFlor here in Quebec, Canada). Their website has instructions on framing either outside or on top of the dricore.
http://www.subflor.com/ADVANCE/install.asp

If you choose the option to put the framing directly on the concrete, make sure you put a foam sill gasket underneath the wood.

After a sewer backup/flood in May, I had to redo my basement bathroom. I will be using a mix of BluWood directly on the concrete pad (with foam sill gasket) and on the dricore (SubFlor) with screws that do not breach the OSB top (framing depth = 1.5inch plus .5inch into SubFlor).

I have had the SubFlor installed for 3 months (I work on a limited time budget - my wife is p/oed that I really take my time on projects ) but the upside is that I can confirm that it has completely eliminated the efflorescence whcih was there previously with tar paper under (rotted out) 2X3 wood framed subfloor - plus I gained more room height (SubFlor = 7/8 inch, previous 2x3 sub floor + 1/2inch plywood = 3inch, net gain = over 2 inches).

Whichever, don't forget the 1/4inch expansion gap around the dricore and the caveat about wrapping the vapour barrier.

Pictures attached (first = new dricore, second and third = rotted plywood in old bathroom, fourth shows new plumbing rough in) - framing will (hopefully) be done this weekend - will post pics later.
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor and framing-img_0147.jpg   Subfloor and framing-100_0153.jpg   Subfloor and framing-100_0051.jpg   Subfloor and framing-100_0055.jpg  

Last edited by profcolli; 01-18-2013 at 03:49 AM.
profcolli is offline   Reply With Quote