Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #1

Share |

Subfloor dips...leveler?

Hi all,

I'm putting new flooring in the whole house. There is a 5 foot by 5 foot area where the floor dips by as much as 3/8". This dip is in a doorway area where a transition from hardwood floor to carpet will be. Is there a leveler I can pour into here that will work for both?

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Subfloor dips...leveler?

Sounds like you may have structural issues. Are you on a basement or crawl space where you can see what the problem is? You may have some broken floor joists which can be jacked up and repaired to level your floor. My mother-in-law had a similar situation which I fixed (jacked up and doubled the joists) prior to installing laminate. Not fun doing in a 3' crawl space, but was the proper way to do it. Leveling compound is only a "band-aid" repair if you have bad joists. You may continue to have problems after you put in the new flooring.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #3

Subfloor dips...leveler?

This is an area where a shower stall used to exist. Joists looked fine and there is really no settling in the basement area underneath. Looks good, just dips in this area. Very solid area. Just need to level it because of the doorway area.
wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Subfloor dips...leveler?

In that case, it sounds like leveling compound would be the fix. Since this is not my area of expertise, I will defer to someone else to suggest the correct type. Good luck.