Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

subfloor creaks

I am getting ready to put down 1/4" hardibacker in my bathroom. i am installing it in thinset mortar directly to the 1" plywood subfloor. the floor is small, measuring 4'x10'. the subfloor has 2 areas that have very slight creaks, but the floor only moves about 1/16" in one of the spots, and i dont think even that in the other spot. i put a couple screws into the joists to try to tighten it up and i helped a little, bringing the creak and movement to the point it is at now. i plan on installing tile over the hardi and i understand that movement of the subfloor can crack the tile and/or grout. i also understand that i can try to gain access to the joist from the floor below and shim underneath the creaks are coming from.

i am asking for your experience as to whether the small movement in the 2 areas will likely crack the tile or grout. it seems very minimal to me but i could use someones expertise. thanks for your help

Jonscheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

subfloor creaks

Take a step back and tell us exactly what was used for floor joist, the spacing and spans, subfloor type and thickness and underlayment.
1/16" movement and the grout and tile will fail.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

subfloor creaks

the joists are 2x7 with 16" spacing running lengthwise (10ft) through the bathroom. the subfloor is doubled up 1/2" plywood, so 1" total. there is no underlayment, as i cut it out with the vinyl flooring that used to be and installed the second 1/2" of plywood.
Jonscheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

subfloor creaks

Oh boy, more likly there really 2 X 8 not 2 X 7, no matter that's way under sized and should have been sistered to beef them up.
1/2 Subflooring is useless!!! That would be bare minimum in an attic for a cat walk.
It should have been 3/4" Tonged and groved Avantec or A/C underlayment rated plywood layed over constrution adhesive then at least 3/8 A/C plywood.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

subfloor creaks

You don't want a single squeak before your tile goes down. Squeaking means something is flexing. Tile and grout don't flex (well, maybe urethane grout, in some cases, to a degree).
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subfloor tile creak