Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

Subfloor construction.

I am installing prefinished 5" x 3/4" hardwood planks over the first level of my home. The existing flooring was 2-1/4" x 3/4" finished oak in one area, and carpet over 5/8" plywood in another. Each of the finished floors were installed over 3/4" sleepers, 1x8 planks, & 2x10 joists @ 16" O.C. For the most part, the sleepers are positioned directly above the joists. It appears that the original builder/owner used the sleepers so they could run the hardwood parallel with the 1x8 subfloor, which runs perpendicular to the joists.

Initially, I was not aware that the sleepers were present. I had planned to use the existing 5/8" plywood as my underlayment and match it in the other area with new plywood after removing the finished oak. When I discovered the sleepers under the oak, I decided to install the 5/8" plywood directly on them to match existing.

The thought of pulling up all the old plywood, removing the sleepers, pulling nails, rescrewing, yada yada yada seemed like a daunting task. I'm having second thoughts, only because I know this is not the way I'd do it if I were starting from scratch. I've only installed about 3 sheets worth of plywood (glued & screwed, is the glue necessary?) over the sleepers at this point. Anyone have an opinion on my situation before I hit the point of no return?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Last edited by mrh65; 04-03-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
mrh65 is offline   Reply With Quote