Subfloor Assistance - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
banging thumbs

Rewards Points: 25

Subfloor Assistance

I've started the kitchen remodel and instead of killing myself removing the linolium-over-linolium-oversome-tile, I'm going with replacing the 3/8" plywood subfloor.

I would like to minimize the threshold hight between the new kitchen floor and the hardwood in the adjacent room. The hardwood is approx 3/4" thick and the bamboo in the kitchen will be 19/32". Is 1/4" plywood the way to go? I'm new to this and appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor Assistance-img_4804.jpg  

Advertisement

bakerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
hms
Remodeling contractor

Subfloor Assistance

Are you going to pull up the lino, tile and old subfloor at the same time? If so, that would be the best way to go, but I would never use 1/4 to subfloor anything. Use the 3/4" and use a transitional strip for the height difference between the rooms.

Advertisement

hms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
banging thumbs

Subfloor Assistance

The subfloor consists of diagonal plank subfloor with an overlay of 3/8" plywood. The linolium was glued down on the plywood. Today I cut out the plywood, leaving the clean diagonal plank sub.

3/4" on top of the plank would make the floor way to high once I install the bamboo floor. Since plank was used (1950's) as the sub, doesn't laying the 1/4" plywood to provide a smooth surface and a little height make sense?

Thanks for your response.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Subfloor Assistance

That's what I would do. That's assuming your bamboo will be perpendicular to your floor joists. You are still going back with a thicker floor than you took out. I would screw the diagonal sub-floor down to the joists first, to eliminate any squeeks, present or future.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Subfloor Assistance

Maintenance 6 is right. Nothing wrong with putting a 1/4" overlay over the subfloor boards. Screws would be a good idea for sure, and it would even be a good idea to use a few beads of subfloor adhesive between the existing subfloor and the overlay to make sure it stays quiet.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
banging thumbs

Subfloor Assistance

Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
banging thumbs

Subfloor Assistance

One more question guys (or gals), do I need a certain type of plywood to use for overlaying the subfloor? I went to HomeDepot and all they have is 1/4" classic. I see references to "CD" "CDX" online and I want to make sure I do what's best.

Thanks.

PS> I asked one of the HD reps for help locating a copper cap to fit a piece of pipe I'm taking out of commission. He told me I should check at a hardware store...I hate HD.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Subfloor Assistance

"Classic" is not a grade of plywood. Some box stores come up with their own proprietary names, which makes it hard to compare to others' products. For instance, "prime" is not a lumber grade in the real world. Drives me crazy.

CDX plywood is C grade on the face side, D grade (lesser than C grade) on the back side, with eXterior glue. That doesn't make it exterior plywood though. CDX is common construction grade plywood, and will work fine for what you're doing.

If you want a smoother surface, you can get lauan (pronounced LOO-AHN) underlayment. But, it only comes in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. It is commonly used under vinyl flooring or other thin floors.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor Assistance

Had same situation years back when bought a house - awesome hardwood outside kitchen area and cheap junk vinyl in kitchen. My advice, take out as much floor as you can, if you plan to keep the house you will be happy down the road you did.
I tore everything in kitchen down to base "subfloor" sim to what you have/had I found old linoleum tile circa 1960's? under there. Ripped it all out, glad I did.
Then I "built up" the kitchen with 3/4" plywood so after new vinyl flooring went down I was at the hardwood height.

thekctermite is right - seems everyone comes up with new "grades" or names for plywwood....I bought what looked good, rough one side smooth on the "top side".....don't remember grade but bought from Lowes, probably overkilled it but I find it is not a lot more $$ to go up a grade on anything when home improving.
good luck

Advertisement

jbhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote