Subfloor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Subfloor

Hi guys,

I have read alot of posts here and seen some great information. I can't seem to find what my options are exactly. I gutted my bathroom. Tile surrounds I put up 1/2 hardiebacker. Just ripped up tiles and old mesh/scratch coat. My subfloor is 5/8" OSB. Cost is an issue but a little extra money to make my life easier is always possible. My question is what do I do next. Could I just use ditra over top of this laying it in thinset? Could I just tile over the 5/8" OSB with a scratch coat? If I am using ditra my understanding is that I need to use Unmodified thinset on it is this correct? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks. PS I would rather not use cement board again (Not sure how you guys do this for a living) anyway but if I do could I use hardibacker 1/4" and tile over that?

Thanks,

Reg

Advertisement

RegLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Subfloor

Hi Reg,

Are you set with how to proceed on the walls? Sounds like you installed Hardie 500 over the studs. Did you install a vapour barrier first? If not I recommend you install a waterproofing membrane on the Hardie before tiling. What are your plans?

5/8" OSB is about as bad as you can get away with if it's installed right and in perfect condition. (cheap ass builders) The scratch-coat is big in your area, it's a bad method which exhibits a high failure rate. It is faster and cheaper though. I don't recommend either.

If you'd like to do a better job this time, install more underlayment, 3/8" or thicker underlayment grade ply. Then go with either Ditra or 1/4" tile backer to keep things thinner. Modified under Ditra over ply or OSB, premium unmodified to set tiles on Ditra is Schluter's wishes.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Subfloor

Hey Jazman,

Good to hear from you. I have read alot of your posts, very enlightening. Here are my current plans.

Shower stall. I Installed the 1/2 Hardie on the shower walls. 1/8" gap between sheets, 1/4" off tub. Built my niche area which was a huge pain but I got all my pieces fit as best as I can I will fill joints and tape with proper tape before tiling . I did not put the vapour barrier behind it but plans on doing two coats of redguard everywhere and 3 in the neice. Then use flexbond tiling with a ledge board doing probably one wall per day. I hope this is all right. I would have like to have used the kerdi but couldn't figure out if I could put up drywall or cement board behind it. Anyway that is the shower surround area.

I gutted the rest of the bathroom today. Ripped up the old Jersey mud job right to subfloor. My plan for the floor now is to clean it well, used thinset and install some 1/4" hardie with a mortar bed underneath. I do have a few problems though. Can I use standard thinset under the hardie or must I use modified. If I have to use modified can I use the versabond on the bottom of the hardieboard and then flexbond on top(To save some costs). My tiles are 13x13 for the floor and 8x10 for the shower walls. One is porcelain and the other is ceramic according to the guy I bought them from but I forgot which is which.
My wife wants me to do a jersey mud job on it but says ditra is too much...lol.. Any suggestions?

Thanks
RegLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Subfloor

Reg,

A tub surround with a shower is not a stall shower. CBU with waterproofing membrane over it is a very good way to do the job. Most people just tile on the board to save money and time.

To your question about Kerdi, you could have used Hardie, Durock or any tile backer, or plain old sheet rock which is what Schluter suggests. Kerdi will make Swiss Cheese waterproof.

For the bath floor;
Quote:
Can I use standard thinset under the hardie or must I use modified.
Either is fine under any backer board. Do use modified to set the tiles though. How big is this floor? Wouldn't one bag be enough for both steps?

My money says your floor tiles are porcelain ceramic while the wall tiles are plain old soft bodied ceramic.

Quote:
My wife wants me to do a jersey mud job on it but says ditra is too much...lol..
Not sure what you mean by this. You already said you're going with Hardie on the floor. Again how big is this floor, is there that much difference?

Tip: Be sure to moisten Hardie just before you spread the thinset. It can suck the life out of your mortar.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote