Sub Flooring Removal Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sub flooring removal question

i have torn out carpet and am replacing with bamboo flooring. there is a small portion of the subflooring (2 pieces) that i need to remove due to mold. both pieces are touching a wall and i can't figure out how to get the 2-3" piece next to the wall out. I have used a circular saw to remove the rest. do i have to remove the baseboard?

thank!!

Advertisement

matchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

What's left is likely nailed under the wall, making removal impossible. There's no real reason to remove it. Just butt the new subfloor up against it.

Advertisement

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

that is the moldy part...
matchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

can you post a photo?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Remove the baseboard, use a reciprocatng saw to saw the moldy flooring right next to the wall, and then hammer-and-chisel the remaining moldy wood out.
(Don't try to pull out the baseboard nails. You will probably damage the baseboard. Pull them through as you carefully pry away the baseboard or sink the finish nails holding it with a small straight-shank punch the same size as the nails.)
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 09-30-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
Remove the baseboard, use a reciprocatng saw to saw the moldy flooring right next to the wall, and then hammer-and-chisel the remaining moldy wood out.
(Don't try to pull out the baseboard nails. You will probably damage the baseboard. Pull them through as you carefully pry away the baseboard or sink the finish nails holding it with a small straight-shank punch the same size as the nails.)
Mike

This is definetly the bes tway.
flooring dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #7

Hi,

I don't mean to thread whore, but I have a very similar problem and thought that I'd ask here rather then make a new thread.

The only difference with my situation is that I don't have mold, my problem is cat urine. I am going to replace a section of subfloor against a wall, but I am afraid that the subfloor may have wicked it to the edge...which is under the wall frame bottom plate.

Should I bother trying to chissel it out, or would I be best to slap some odor sealer on the bit of subfloor under the frame bottom plate? Or could I save a bit and just smother the section with caulking (being that I would only be able to paint the edge of the effected peice)?
renfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrey View Post
Hi,

I don't mean to thread whore, but I have a very similar problem and thought that I'd ask here rather then make a new thread.

The only difference with my situation is that I don't have mold, my problem is cat urine. I am going to replace a section of subfloor against a wall, but I am afraid that the subfloor may have wicked it to the edge...which is under the wall frame bottom plate.

Should I bother trying to chissel it out, or would I be best to slap some odor sealer on the bit of subfloor under the frame bottom plate? Or could I save a bit and just smother the section with caulking (being that I would only be able to paint the edge of the effected peice)?

It may be better to incapsulate the odor with some sort of stain/odor blocker if it isn't too bad.

Advertisement

flooring dude is offline   Reply With Quote