Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #1

Share |

Sub Flooring for Pergo Floor.

I'm redoing our 1950's Kitchen.

I'm going to put down Pergo Prestige Harvest Chest nut Laminate flooring perpendicular to the floor beams over this sub floor. The spot I took pictures for you is under the corner where the Fridge is. I removed 3 layers of tiles to get to the plywood but there looks like there was a sheet of tar paper that was also put down that is stuck and VERY hard to get up and is in pieces so there is gaps the thickness of the paper. I think the floor is level.

My question is what do I need to do make a good surface for the Pergo flooring? I can't peel the tar paper off. I even tried sanding it off.

The style I'm using has the backing installed to the laminate.

ftp://cj136.gotdns.com/files2/Flooring/

Last edited by CJMEDINA; 08-10-2010 at 07:12 PM.
CJMEDINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #2

the tar paper is harmless and actually works as a vapor barrier. laminate is really easy, if it's pre padded and you have a level floor you just install according to the directions. the last pergo i did was a glue together.

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #3

When I installed Pergo in the first floor of our bi-level, I couldn't peel up all the previous laminate that was there. So some areas were right down the concrete, others had pieces of laminate. I used a good foam pad underneath and had no issues - you can't tell at all when walking on the floor. The Pergo I used didn't have a backing though - I thought all laminate was floating, but I guess some adheres down?
the1hangingchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Tileguy

There isn't anything you can do with that situation. I'd say your good to go. Cover it up as is, you'll be fine using the product you have.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote