Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sub Flooring

I am installing porcelain tile once I remove the lino from the floor. My question is, do I have to replace the subfloor or can I just lay thinset, backerboard, thinset and lay my tile. Thank you.

RodneyMc

RodneyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sub Flooring

Welcome Rodney, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

You could search for that info, the common practice is to add a minimum of 3/8" ply to the existing subfloor, original subfloor screwed to joist, the addition screwed to subfloor (not joist) thinset, CB, thinset, tile.

Resident experts and on right now so I am sure you will hear from Mr Bud Cline. http://www.diychatroom.com/members/bud-cline-2300/ You can look for posts by Bud.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 02-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

Sub Flooring

Hey, thanks for the reply but I currently have underlayment (plywood) on the sub floor. Can I lay the BB or CB over the existing underlayment (plywood) or take it up since I have to take linolieum anyway?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,200

Sub Flooring

Typically when vinyl floor covering is installed it is installed with a new 1/4" plywood underlayment. If this 1/4" plywood underlayment now exists it must be removed. That type of plywood is problematic when it comes to installing ceramic tile over it.

Once it is removed (if it is present) then you can usually proceed with a tile backer product. If cement board is used it must be installed in a fresh bed of thinset mortar then fastened with nails screws or staples.

To clear up some terms:
A subfloor is an integral component of a structure and is glued and mechanically fastened to the floor joists never to be messed with again. (Hopefully!)
Then on top of that is an underlayment material, probably in your case the 1/4" plywood.

So...
now where are we?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

Sub Flooring

Okay! It is 1/4 inch plywood I think. Some kind of wood defintely. My house is new construction 8 yrs old so the subfloor is wood. If I understand you correctly I can apply backer board or cement board with thinset directly to subfloor add thinset again then tile. I am correct?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Tileguy

Sub Flooring

Quote:
Okay! It is 1/4 inch plywood I think. Some kind of wood defintely. My house is new construction 8 yrs old so the subfloor is wood. If I understand you correctly I can apply backer board or cement board with thinset directly to subfloor add thinset again then tile. I am correct?
After removing the 1/4" plywood, yes.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

Sub Flooring

Greatley appreciated!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Sub Flooring

Bud, so no concern about floor flex? What if subfloor is not thick enough and/or joists are undersized?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Tileguy

Sub Flooring

Quote:
Bud, so no concern about floor flex? What if subfloor is not thick enough and/or joists are undersized?
The house is only eight years old, standards eight years ago would be substantial enough for things to work out I would think.

Even if the subfloor is at minimum (5/8") all of today's systems allow for that minimum. I doubt the joists are "undersized" but it doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Rodney what size are the floor joists, what is their spacing, what is their unsupported span?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #10

Sub Flooring

Not sure if I measured correctly but on center the floor joist are 16 inches apart and they are Silent Floor TJI/Pro 130 joist. FYI the lino/vinyl was on 1/4 plywood stapled directly to sub floor. I would think that tile on 1/4 backer board would provide same support be the same??
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Tileguy

Sub Flooring

Cement board offers no structural benefit what-so-ever but neither does 1/4" plywood. The 1/4" ply is bad news and should never be used under a tile installation, doesn't matter what you try to put over it.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #12

Sub Flooring

Hello,
. I might consider using sheet vinyl. However if it comes in rolls it will be more difficult to layout and mark for cutting. I am dealing with a small room approx 60 sq ft with many obstacles to cut around. Any tips you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #13

Sub Flooring

The house is only eight years old, standards eight years ago would be substantial enough for things to work out I would think.

Even if the subfloor is at minimum (5/8") all of today's systems allow for that minimum. I doubt the joists are "undersized" but it doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Rodney what size are the floor joists, what is their spacing, what is their unsupported span?

So does this mean I am good with backer board because I already started applying to sub floor with thinset? The sub floor seems very sturdy and we had no problem when the builder layed the vinyl over 1/4 ply on sub f.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Tileguy

Sub Flooring

Quote:
So does this mean I am good with backer board because I already started applying to sub floor with thinset?
  • A subfloor is an integral component of your structure.
  • An underlayment goes over a subfloor when and if needed.
  • A substrate is a flat layer that is below another layer.
  • Cement board is an underlayment (or tile-backer) but underlayments can also be made of other materials.
  • ALL cement boards are to be installed in a bed of fresh thinset and then fastened to the subfloor/substrate with nails screws or staples.
I doubt there is an issue with an eight year old house. Haven't we already been down that road?

If you have already begun installing the cement board then what's the difference now?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #15

Sub Flooring

Cement board offers no structural benefit what-so-ever but neither does 1/4" plywood. The 1/4" ply is bad news and should never be used under a tile installation, doesn't matter what you try to put over it.

Okay, I think there was a bit of miscommunication. I was refering to your response above and thought you were saying CB /BB was not structurally sound based on my joist measurements. All is good and thank you so much for your help.

Rodney