Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Share |

sub floor question

i am redoing a bedroom. i am at somewhat of a standstill . so i am thinking i could pull up the old junky hardwood and put down some plywood. in preparation for the laminate that i will install at a later date.

anyway. the subfloor is old wood planks, 1x8"s ? and they squeek some. i am hoping some screws will cut down on this.

the question. what plywood should i go with ? cost is an issue.

thanx

here is a bad pic of what i have. the HW is pretty thin, 1/4-3/8". NOTHING like the HW that is at the stores. maybe it was sanded a trillion times, idk.
but its junk now.
Attached Thumbnails
sub floor question-img_1768.jpg  

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

sub floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
i am redoing a bedroom. i am at somewhat of a standstill . so i am thinking i could pull up the old junky hardwood and put down some plywood. in preparation for the laminate that i will install at a later date.

anyway. the subfloor is old wood planks, 1x8"s ? and they squeek some. i am hoping some screws will cut down on this.

the question. what plywood should i go with ? cost is an issue.

thanx

here is a bad pic of what i have. the HW is pretty thin, 1/4-3/8". NOTHING like the HW that is at the stores. maybe it was sanded a trillion times, idk.
but its junk now.
Cdx plywood. Perpendicular from joists and stagger your seams 2ft from one another if you can.

What's under the hard wood floor? Is it possible to take hard wood up and put ply down instead of going over it? That hardwood maybe 3/4" thick you can get cdx in 3/4.

Last edited by JetSwet; 05-21-2012 at 10:02 PM.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

sub floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Cdx plywood. Perpendicular from joists and stagger your seams 2ft from one another if you can.

What's under the hard wood floor? Is it possible to take hard wood up and put ply down instead of going over it? That hardwood maybe 3/4" thick you can get cdx in 3/4.
ok, thanx

there are regular wood planks..... you misunderstood what i said. there is THIN hardwood on top of the regular planks. i want to remove the thin hardwood, but leave the planks. then put plywood over the planks.

i just didn't know what kind of plywood, or how thick. i know 3/4 is good . but if i have the planks under it, perhaps i could use thinner plywood ? say 1/2". i am a little worried about the weight (perhaps i don't need to be ?)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

sub floor question

In effect you going to be laying an underlayment not a subfloor. CDX should not used as an underlayment.
It's full of voilds in the core and the outsides.
Use A/C subfloor rated.
Once the hardwoods gone add two screws to each board any place it sits on a joist.
I use 2" ceramic coated decking screws.
Concider using engeneered flooring instead of laiminite.
It's more stable, can be refinished, does not have a hollow sound when walked on, does not look like a plastic floor, increases the homes value unlike laminite.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #5

sub floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In effect you going to be laying an underlayment not a subfloor.

CDX should not used as an underlayment.
It's full of voilds in the core and the outsides.
Use A/C subfloor rated.

Once the hardwoods gone add two screws to each board any place it sits on a joist.
I use 2" ceramic coated decking screws.

Concider using engeneered flooring instead of laiminite.
It's more stable, can be refinished, does not have a hollow sound when walked on, does not look like a plastic floor, increases the homes value unlike laminite.
ok then.

ok again. i am sure HD would have this ? and how thick do you think i need ? please take into account that the current planks are taking 98% of the load now. i am thinking 1/2"

i was going to do that = 2 screws.

i used to have engineered. and i loved it = looked great ! so good, in fact, that i was worried about it all the time. and there in is my concern. i don't want a flooring that i have to (overly) worry about.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #6

sub floor question

Ok Slap my wrists for throwing cdx around again....lol

Fix-n-it has mentioned cost is issue.
Also putting laminate down not tile hence vapor barrier and wait span is fine on cdx

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote