Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steamshower Room waterproofing

Ok so I got a little ahead of myself and built the entire steam shower and have covered the walls with durarock. On the floor I have durock over plywood. I have used the mesh tape and filled all cracks in the durock. My plan now that I have already screwed up is to do the following:

1. Redgard the entire area 3 coats where normally the PVC membrane would exist. 2 coats up above the 6 inch mark.

2. create the mortar bed slope.

3. Red Gard the bed

4. Tile

Any thoughts on if this will work? or suggested alternate plans?
O
Many thanks in advance for any help...

jules77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,836

What is the durrock on the floor for?

What type of drain are you hoping to use?

Are you going to use deck mud for the pan?

I suggest you go to the Latacrete web site---look at Hydroban----I don't believe Red Guard is designed for waterproofing a pan---Hydroban is---

If you haven't sloped the ceiling---do it now---a flat level ceiling drips cold water onto the occupants--

Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

mike,
thanks for the response...

the durock really serves no purpose, although I had initially thought that by filling all the seams in the cement board and using redgard or hydroban I would end up with a one piece liner all on the same material.

I am trying to use the typical drain from Lowes or Home depot with the bolts and adjustable. Not sure of it's official name.

I was planning on sloping the base with deck mud but only after I had my hydroban liner done.

I do have a sloped ceiling although I don't believe it is 2" per foot as reccomended in most of my reading but probably around 1"-1 1/4" per foot.

So should I yank the cement board in the base, I definitely don't want to pull the walls to get a pan liner behind it. The base should be fairly easy at this point.
jules77 is offline   Reply With Quote