Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

Steam shower tile

I am putting in a steam shower and have done all the prep excpt the tile.
I have lined the framed walls with 6 mil plastict instaled cemet wallboard a, sealed the cracks and applyed 2 coats of Mer-Krete Hydro-Guard SP-1 and use the fabric on all corners. Now before i tile on top of this, my question is, is the tile mortor going to stick to this rubber membraine.
If so what is the best thin set to use and the best grout to use in a steam shower.

Thank you for your help.

arkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Steam shower tile

You should contact Mercrete to see if that product is suitable for a steam shower application. My information is that all of the liquid applied waterproofing membranes are not suitable for steam room applications because they will transmit water vapor. They are not a shield against water vapor. Water droplets yes, water vapor no. There is a difference.

Get your final word from the waterproofing manufacturer on this subject.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
coderguy (06-26-2011), oh'mike (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

Steam shower tile

This is my steam shower. I did everything you did except I just used the membrane on the seams. I wasn't sure if you were saying you coated the whole thing. We use it every day and have never had any problems at all. In fact, the other week I had to cut out a piece of drywall on the other side of the shower and it was bone dry. As far as the mortar adhering to the membrane, again, not sure if you coated the entire thing. If so, I would definitely talk to the manufacturer. If you just did the seams, you should have no problem.
Attached Images

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Steam shower tile

Don't sound so confident my friends. There are many problems with steam showers on a regular basis. You should do more research before you follow the advice of someone here that also doesn't know the recommendations.

What is being and has been done in these two referenced showers IS NOT in the industry recommendations from any source.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #5

Steam shower tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline
Don't sound so confident my friends. There are many problems with steam showers on a regular basis. You should do more research before you follow the advice of someone here that also doesn't know the recommendations.

What is being and has been done in these two referenced showers IS NOT in the industry recommendations from any source.
I hear ya loud and clear. And I do recommend that he check with the manufacturer. BUT, after two years of use, I have no signs of vapor penetration whatsoever. This includes the cut out repair I just did, and above the shower in the attic where I mounted the steam unit. My tile is rock solid and the grout looks as good as the day I sealed it. This is 2 years later with daily use.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Tileguy

Steam shower tile

Just sayin'......

Shootin' from the hip isn't the way to approach it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Steam shower tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline
Just sayin'......

Shootin' from the hip isn't the way to approach it.
How is it shooting from the hip to tell him to definitely check with the manufacturer, and then explain my own experiences with my steam shower?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Tileguy

Steam shower tile

Quote:
I did everything you did except I just used the membrane on the seams.
That procedure is not an industry recognized technique and therefore is shooting from the hip in my opinion. The purported success or failure of a single shower doesn't make a non-sanctioned technique acceptable.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
www.No-Curb.com

Steam shower tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You should contact Mercrete to see if that product is suitable for a steam shower application. My information is that all of the liquid applied waterproofing membranes are not suitable for steam room applications because they will transmit water vapor. They are not a shield against water vapor. Water droplets yes, water vapor no. There is a difference.

Get your final word from the waterproofing manufacturer on this subject.

Both Custom Building Products and Laticrete have steam shower installation details. What Bud mentions is correct but the liquid membrane approach includes the use of 6 mil poly.

Laticrete's installation guide on steam showers is outstanding.

Here in vancouver we build our steam showers with sheet membranes and use Noble Seal TS for it's low low perm rating of 0.05

JW

JohnFRWhipple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best grout, best thinset, steam shower