Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

Steam mop on laminate floors?

Hi everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right place! We are getting ready to install new 12mm high gloss laminate flooring in our home. I have heard a lot of great things about steam mops from several of my friends who have them and was thinking about purchasing one for our new floors once they are installed. Our new laminate is the extremely thick and heavy kind (12 mm) and is guaranteed to be able to stand up to water and came with a 30-year warranty. The flooring store we purchased our floors from recommended using their soy-based laminate/hardwood cleaner that comes in a spray bottle with a dry microfiber mop or a very lightly dampened sponge mop, which I will probably try first to see how that works, but I am seriously considering a steam mop. Has anyone every used one on a high gloss laminate before? Does it do a good job? I certainly don't want to cause any damage to the beautiful shiny finish of our brand new floors, so I thought I'd gather some opinions before making the purchase!

jwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

I would not use one.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Coatings Nerd

My wife bought one and immediately returned it. I call her "the mop nazi ". As the manufacturer recommends, that's the best way, and the way we do it.

We had surprisingly good luck with our laminate in our last house. 2 big dogs...and 3 years later not a scratch on it.

Take a scrap or sample from the company, play with it some to see how much abuse it'll take.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

So the steam mop on laminate is a bad idea? I was kind of on the fence about it at first because I was worried about it damaging the finish, but I have several friends who also have laminate and bought steam mops and they all raved about it, so that's the only reason I was considering it.

We currently have laminate installed, but I don't really like the color, plus it's the cheaper kind that is only 7 or 8 mm thick, so we are upgrading. We have two Golden Retrievers as well as cats, so laminate works well for us.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Coatings Nerd

The high gloss part scares me a bit. Wouldn't it show more dirt, foot prints, or paw prints in your case? Even pet hair would really stand out on a high gloss finish.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
The high gloss part scares me a bit. Wouldn't it show more dirt, foot prints, or paw prints in your case? Even pet hair would really stand out on a high gloss finish.
We have very good friends who have the exact same floor that we just purchased through most of their house and they also have pets and even young kids. They have had theirs for a little over a year now and it's very easy to keep clean and still looks great. They just use a microfiber mop on it and it still looks as good as the day it was installed. It's very low maintenance.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

Keep that steam away from your laminate! Moisture is that material's worst enemy, and the steam mop is basically forcing it in there.

Use the spray cleaner with the microfiber mop. It should go on like windex, spray, wipe, and instantly evaporate. No time to soak, and no pressure.

I sell 6 brands of laminate (including 3 of the 12mm high gloss) and not a one recommends a steam mop.

From my personal experience, I've seen them work fine for some people, and others it will pucker the seams the very first time.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Keep that steam away from your laminate! Moisture is that material's worst enemy, and the steam mop is basically forcing it in there.

Use the spray cleaner with the microfiber mop. It should go on like windex, spray, wipe, and instantly evaporate. No time to soak, and no pressure.

I sell 6 brands of laminate (including 3 of the 12mm high gloss) and not a one recommends a steam mop.

From my personal experience, I've seen them work fine for some people, and others it will pucker the seams the very first time.
Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I asked. I guess I'll just stick with the spray bottle cleaner and a microfiber mop. I know that water/moisture is laminate's worst enemy, but I figured this stuff might be able to hold up to it since it's a much thicker laminate. We just spent a fortune on this flooring, so the last thing I want to do is ruin it!

Last edited by jwheeler; 03-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Even the Swiffer Wet Jet will ruin laminate.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #10

Go to HD and get some Bruce hardwood cleaner and a micro fiber mop .
Please , No water of any kind .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #11

I was wondering the same thing. I am planning on putting my 12x12 laminate tile in the kitchen. I will be doing every seam with a joint sealer cause you never know what could spill in a kitchen. So with a joint sealer would that make one of those H20 steam mops safer to use?
timbitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #12

Joint sealer on laminite
If you install in a kitchen I'd suggest only using below grade rated laminite and just glue the joints as you assemble it. It looks like Elmia's white glue and is sold in the same area as the flooring.
Go on the website that makes the flooring and double check what they suggest also.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitkid View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I am planning on putting my 12x12 laminate tile in the kitchen. I will be doing every seam with a joint sealer cause you never know what could spill in a kitchen. So with a joint sealer would that make one of those H20 steam mops safer to use?
Never heard of a 12x12 laminate tile. You must mean vinyl tile.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #14

No it's a no-glue 12mm laminate flooring 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 put out by goodfellow

Last edited by timbitkid; 10-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.
timbitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Never heard of a 12x12 laminate tile. You must mean vinyl tile.

Canadian company

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote