Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

Stay with 5/8” subflooring or upgrade to 3/4"?

My wife and I just bought our first home (built in 1977). Previous owner had indoor dogs. We tore up the carpet and padding in the living room (12’x19’) and found a half dozen spots where the subfloor (5/8” tongue & groove plywood twisted nailed 16” O.C.) is saturated in dog urine. I’ve already cut out a 10’x4’ section of the subfloor and still have another 4’x4’ section to go. I’m thinking I’ll go get a few sheets of 19/32” plywood and glue it and screw it using 2” deck screws to replace what I cut out. I found 6 to 8 squeaky spots too so I’ll add some 2” deck screws to the exiting subfloor in these squeaky sections as needed. Then I’ll call a guy in to lay new carpet.

Some say 5/8” is the bare minimum for a subfloor. I’m half tempted to pull up ALL the existing 5/8” and lay new 3/4" tongue & groove plywood with glue and screws. But, is this upgrade worth my time and money? Who thinks this would be overkill? Who thinks this upgrade would be a good idea?

I’ve got the same 5/8” subfloor on the steps leading upstairs and in the upstairs bedroom. The master bedroom (11’x13’) has what looks to be a bowed floor joist in the center of the room, which raises the floor about a 1/2". If the common response is to go for the 3/4”, I may decide to do that throughout the second floor too.

Thanks for your feedback.

Rover4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

That's a lot of work for little gain.

A better solution if you find the 5/8" has more flex than you like ,would be to add another layer of 1/2" over the top of the existing.

Rover4 (08-04-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Tileguy

True 5/8" is the building code minimum in a lot of places. True that more is better.

Your problem is going to be that your walls are built on top of what is there now. To remove it would be a major task and of course you would have to cut it flush along all of the walls. This is also going to require the removal and resizing of all the door jambs and casings including the exterior doors.

Iffin' it was me. I would use a pet urine enzyne eradicator to get rid of the odor and then add another layer of plywood to what is there now. That would be a little easier to accomplish.

There is a high likelyhood that the existing 5/8 is also glued to the floor joists. Total removal could turn into a nightmare.

I see oh'mike types faster than I do.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 08-03-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Wondering where I learned to spell.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
Rover4 (08-04-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Absolutely what Mike & Bud said.

Paint the old floor with this;

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=406

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Rover4 (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Thanks! You guys are great! I went back to the house and yep, it does feel like the 5/8" has a slight flex to it. Looks like laying down 1/2" plywood on top of the 5/8" should be pretty straight foward. I *might* end up with a slightly higher transition walking into the two bathrooms and kitchen, but that's easily fixed when I get around to redoing those floors.

And thanks Jaz for the tip about "Clear Bin Sealer".

Looks like I've got my weekend planned out. Thanks again guys!
Rover4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rover4 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (08-04-2011), JazMan (08-04-2011), oh'mike (08-04-2011)