Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Share |

Staples or Cleats?

I will be installing some wood flooring about 9/16" thick and plan to purchase an inexpensive flooring nailer. What is the preferred fastner? Staples or cleats? Whats the difference with T and L cleats?

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Staples or Cleats?

i have used both and I prefer the staples.

home depot has the freeman nailer that will do staples or cleat nails for 149.00. with mine i only needed 60 pounds to set the staples perfect. they didn't carry it when i bought mine.

Last edited by DannyT; 11-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Staples or Cleats?

The staples have a glue that activates when it heats but for the last ten years used nothing but L cleats. The cleats have barbs that give a better hold. The difference between the T and L cleat is just the shape of the head same holding power. I recommend the primatec flooring nailer.
DonnHartwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #4

Staples or Cleats?

Staples 110%
Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #5

Staples or Cleats?

Should have mentioned the flooring is bamboo. After doing some reading it sounds like staples may cause the tongue to split and later make the floors squeak. Are staples still a favorite when installing bamboo?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
DIY staff

Staples or Cleats?

Never installed bamboo---cleats tend to break the tongue more often than staples----call the manufacturer---I like staples for hardwood.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

Staples or Cleats?

READ the installation instructions and warranty info , If there is no warranty or instructions return the product , If thats not an option , You will be likely to be over doing it with a home depot nailer , " IF "The HD 45% floor nailer still has the adjustment plates , Then you would want to put the thicker plate on so the nails . Staples cleats or what ever .Do not over penetrate and blow right through , Most of the home depot nailers are set up for 3/4 inch thick products and won't even sit flat on a 9/16 . If you try this , Set the nailer on the 9/16 .Lay your head on the floor to get a side view and see if it is laying on it right .As a last resort , And I claim no responsibility for you ruining a few boards . Tape cardboard to the bottom of the Home depot nailer as to shim it up so the nails are [SORT OF ] Adjusted for th proper depth and turn the air compressor down to about 80 psi . and play with it a bit . If you are blowing the nails right throught the toungues , Put another cardboard shim on , make sure tyhe cardboard does not prevent the lip from cathing the front of the Bamboo ,if you lower the pressure too much , The staple will not penetrate when it hits more solid parts or pieces of wood , Wether thts the Bamboo or the sub floor ,

tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #8

Staples or Cleats?

So I spoke to the manufacturer and they said I should NOT use staples on this particular flooring. 16 Ga. Cleats only. My subfloor is 3/4" T&G OSB and have read that staples hold much better in osb than cleats. Is there any reason I should go against the manufacturers directions?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #9

Staples or Cleats?

Use what the manufacturer told you to , I have been to the seminars , They don't just make it up as they go along , Or they; being the manufacturerses that test their product , They install wood and put it through it's paces , I have seen staples kind of break the tounges , While cleats don't , Can't remember the product name , But the wood was just light and brittle , Cleats seemed to hold with out breaking the end of the toungue off ,
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Staples or Cleats?

i have installed bamboo, glue down,float and nail. 16g cleats, we bought a special nailer for it ( powernail) now even some of the hardwood companies are sending out memos informing installers to use certain fasteners to carry any warranty. right tools are a must.
Attached Thumbnails
Staples or Cleats?-img_0416.jpg  
Dantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

Staples or Cleats?

watch pressure to avoid dimpling
Dantro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dantro For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #12

Staples or Cleats?

Thanks for all the responses. I'll go with the 16 ga. cleats.

A couple questions regarding expansion gaps. The manufacturer says to leave 3/4" expansion gaps. The front entrydoor is on one side of the room and a sliding patio door on the other. What type of moulding can be used to cover the gaps at doorways?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
DIY staff

Staples or Cleats?

As often as not you will be safest making your own transitions----however---often a simple ranch style door stop can be used or a ranch style casing--ripped to your needed width will work.

If you have a table saw and a router---you can make simple transitions and moldings---
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #14

Staples or Cleats?

The sales team should be able to order T mold end mold or transition mold , You could also ... and I take no responsibility if you wacker youreself trying this , set the saw table close to the guard and rip side ways , after youbrip from the top to maybe 1an 1/4 inch turn the piece sideways and and rip the piece thin as you think but proble 5/16 or 1/4 thick , If you don't wear safety glasses ..... well you know the rule of risk , if you screw it up you would sand and finish it with poly urethane with stain if needed. then Polyurethane glue seems to stick well to the top of prefinish , Or it does when I mess up and then try to get it off , so have a container to set the glue in while working

Last edited by tacomahardwood.; 11-12-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #15

Staples or Cleats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantro View Post
watch pressure to avoid dimpling
Is the dimpling caused by too high or too low pressure? Or both?