Stamped Concrete Info. Please. Searched. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Stamped Concrete Info. Please. Searched.

http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php?searchid=1069961

Thats my search.

Hi! Looking to buy a home that currently has indoor stamped concrete floors, its quite interesting. They went for the staggered or cobblestone tile look with this light color and the grout is sort of jagged or cracked looking. Actually looks pretty cool. Anyway Im wondering a couple of things, whats the down side? Ive read about coldness and cracks. Coldness I dont care about, and cracks the way the pattern is im not sure i would notice. Possibly the whole floor is cracked for all I know being as the pattern is similar to a crack.

So my main question is how hard is it to put tile over stamped floors? Do you have to grind down? If so how far? Is this costly? Would the cost vary a lot from a typical tile job? Like I said the flooring has a cracked grout look so its not 100% flat like a giant slab would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

ZeroPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Zero, Welcome to the Forum
Congratulations on doing the 'search'.

Can you post a Pic?

Advertisement

Last edited by PaliBob; 11-18-2009 at 04:31 AM.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #3

Sure can Bob. There is 2 pictures, one shows the normal pattern and the other shows what I have now confirmed to be a crack. Not sure how bad that crack is when considering the grand scheme of things. Deal breaker? Dont have much experience but hopefully I can get some input. House built in 2003. Stamped concrete covers the entire bottom floor of the house.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjmanis/...eat=directlink
Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Tool Geek

Zero, Thanks for the Pics. Very cool look that looks like the stamping is not too deep to present future problems if you want to use area carpets in some rooms.

Check the perimeter of all the rooms to see if the house ever had any rooms with wall to wall carpeting. that leaves pitting on the perimeter from pulling up the tack strips..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #5

Right on thanks for the quick reply. Do you see any problems with those cracks? It seems minor and as well I imagine the house has settled as much as it will. We really like tile and eventually will be done, but as well the look of the stamped concrete fooled us, wasnt until I got down on my knees did I realize it was concrete. Going back to check out the floors more, as I said its sorta hard to tell whats a crack due to the pattern so as long as its structurally okay we can deal. The house is pretty awesome in all aspects and that crack was about the worst thing I found. Looks like it was also patched which I guess is a good thing however doesnt blend all that well.

Im going to leave the pictures up for a little longer incase others want to see an indoor concrete stamping but will be taken down as its my personal account. So enjoy em while you got em'

Feel free to add any additional input.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Tool Geek

Zero, I sent you a PM
...Bob

Edit, Sorry I sent the PM to you by mistake
..,Bob

Last edited by PaliBob; 11-18-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #7

Zero, Was this a thin stamped overlay? From the pics it just looks like shrinkage/hydration cracks. Normally just a cosmetic thing and not structural. The color on the patching could have been a little closer. Do you know what kind of sealer was applied?

Even full depth stamped these small surface cracks shouldn't be a problem. gene ec-Indy
dcsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #8

Hey thanks for the reply. The cracks seem minor, the depth of the "grout" was not deep at all. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to have to grind up concrete if I chose to lay tile. Appreciate the response.

Advertisement