Stairway Transformation - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stairway Transformation

Hello All,

I'm looking at tearing the carpet off my split level stairs and installing stair treads, which I will stain and finish myself. I'm also looking at staining the newel posts and handrails the same color as the stair treads, but leaving the balusters white. My questions are:

1) How can I remove the balusters without damaging them?
The ones on the stairs are not a problem as they will have to be shortened just a bit to make room for the treads; I can cut them out. I would like to remove the ones on the main level to make the sanding, staining, and finishing of the handrail easier, however I would like to be able to use the old balusters; therefore no cutting them out. Is this possible? Or will I have to simply buy new balusters?

2) How do I make the transition from wood stairs leading up to a carpeted floor?

3) Is it possible to make my own treads?

I have decent experience with wood work and I have access to all the tools I would ever need.
Thanks for the input guys and gals.

Blake

Advertisement

brdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 512

Stairway Transformation

1) We would need a pic to see what kind of ballusters you have. Some come off easier than others.
2) This can be done using a hardwood nosing at the carpet edge.
3) It is possible to make treads, although I don't see the point. They are readily available and affordable.

Changing out the treads and risers is probably gonna be harder than you think. You can't just slap new treads on top of old, as this will change the rise of the top and bottom steps.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote