Stairs Help - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stairs Help

I am redoing the stairs myself. I ripped out the original 1989 carpet and there is the construction grade stairs is exposed. I plan on putting in Oak riser/steps but have a problem. I am hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I noticed that the bullnosed steps were layed down first then the stringer was put down above it with cutouts for the bullnose. So in other words, the end of the bullnose step goes into the stringer, picture below. So I figured that I need to remove the stringer first in order to cut off the bullnose to be plumb with the riser below before installing the new step/riser. However, When I removed the quarter round that was above the stringer, I noticed that the stringer is actually about 1" thick that goes below the sheetrock. It looks like its part of the stairs and not the wall.

I do not know what to do. Is this piece removable?
Attached Thumbnails
Stairs Help-271.jpg  

Advertisement

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #2

Stairs Help

A pic of the thick stringer that is not part of the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Stairs Help-270.jpg  

Advertisement

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Stairs Help

These existing stairs are made usually at some factory and brought to the site and put in place.

Do you have full access to the backside of the stairs? Is so normally you can release everything and replace. If you don't have access than there are company's that make thinner treads with a nosing that you can install/laminate over the top of these existing ones.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Stairs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

I noticed that the bullnosed steps were layed down first then the stringer was put down above it with cutouts for the bullnose.
The stingers are located below the steps and the risers.

This piece is just a trim piece.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #5

Stairs Help

Dallas, See the thread titled "Choosing stair riser material". It is also in the "Flooring" group.

If you cannot access from below the stairs, then you have to cut off the bullnose using a circular saw. There will be about 3" left on each end which the saw cannot cut. So you can finish cutting with the thin hand saw or japanese saw, then near the mortise a minimal amount with the chisel. Doesn't have to look pretty as you should install a new riser over the old one. I f the new riser doesn't cover the mortise holes left in the stringer, than fill in with a dowl cut to fit and spackle.

Before you start, take care and measure how much the bullnose extends over the riser, mark a line, adjust the saw so the blade only extends thru the cut by 1/8".
CPaff is offline   Reply With Quote