Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

stairnose and transition help

I bought some strand woven bamboo flooring. Solid .5" from US Floors. It's the floating kind, so it's gonna go down like a drop n lock laminate. My question is this: I just picked up the transitions and stairnose pieces yesterday, and they don't have the tongue to interlock with the other pieces. In some areas, they will fit in parallel to the boards, other places they're gonna lay perpindicular, so they'll butt up against several ends. How do I secure these if there's no tongue and groove to secure them?
Should I face nail them to the subfloor, and assume that any floating of the floor will happen in the other direction? Somehow glue them to the rest of the floor? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,944

Are you trying to use these for stair treads?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Usually a floating floor will also float under a htreshold and the threshold will be glued and screwed to the framing. With a slot for the flooring to go underneath the threshold.
Mr. Michael (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

When the nosings or other moldings don't have a groove, we just glue them with some PL400 construction adhesive.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awoodfloorguy For This Useful Post:
Mr. Michael (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

No, I'm not using the floor for stair treads. I'm doing the main floor of a ranch home, so I've got the area at the top of the stairs, and an area where the main floor kind of overlooks the staircase going down. Other than that, there's a few places where I'm meeting carpet, tile, etc...
So it sounds like the stairnose are gonna be secured to the subfloor, and the floor will butt up against it? There's really no place for the floor to go under the stair noses. I guess I could glue the stair noses to the top of the floor, but then there'd be a lip. If I just butt up against, since it's a floating floor, will this lead to buckling or gaps down the road?
And the transitions will be secured to the subfloor and the flooring will go under them, any expansion will occur in that gap, yes?
Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer450R View Post
Usually a floating floor will also float under a htreshold and the threshold will be glued and screwed to the framing. With a slot for the flooring to go underneath the threshold.
That's more for laminate though, right? I don't think the floating wood has a threshold system. I measured and kind of did a mock-up, and the stairnose have to be butted against the wood, there's a little groove they fit together with, and the mini threshold will sit on top of the wood, perhaps glued to it?