Stair Nose - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 95

Stair nose

I'm about to put hardwood on my stairs. I know I have to cut the nose off of each tread to allow for the new stair nose.

My question is, do take each tread off and rip off the nose on a table saw or do I use my circular saw and jig saw to cut the nose off right there on the stairs?

I've already done the top step with a circular saw and found it to be quite tricky. Then you have to use a jig saw to get what the circular saw can't reach and even then, you still have a little bit that the jig saw can't reach.

I've thought about taking each tread off, as I get to it, and ripping off the nose on the table saw. What I don't want is to put the tread back on and then over time, it loosens because the screws are not as tight as they once were.

I'd love to hear the experiences of the good folks here.

Advertisement

Brad Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
A guy from Kansas

Rewards Points: 52

If you have easy access to remove each tread, table saw is the way to go. Set the rip fence once and go to town. You'll have consistent tread size for each step so it'll be easier to install the hardwood.

If you're worried about treads loosening over time, reinstall them with the existing screws and add 2 or 4 more screws to each tread. Make sure to pre drill and counter sink the screws. Alternatively you could put a little bead of construction adhesive down on the stringers before setting the tread back down. Just make sure you never want to take them back out.

Advertisement

ksguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

taking off each tread sounds like alot of work to me and you might ruin the wood doing so.. Just cut them with your circular saw and then use a sawzall for the places your circ saw won't reach.
frankrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

Do you have an oscillating saw for the end cuts instead of using a jigsaw?
cwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 508

If your gonna take existing treads off to cut off nose, you should just replace them with the hardwood ones. Plus it won't screw up your existing rise. Unless it is already off.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Nailer View Post
I'm about to put hardwood on my stairs. I know I have to cut the nose off of each tread to allow for the new stair nose.

My question is, do take each tread off and rip off the nose on a table saw or do I use my circular saw and jig saw to cut the nose off right there on the stairs?

I've already done the top step with a circular saw and found it to be quite tricky. Then you have to use a jig saw to get what the circular saw can't reach and even then, you still have a little bit that the jig saw can't reach.

I've thought about taking each tread off, as I get to it, and ripping off the nose on the table saw. What I don't want is to put the tread back on and then over time, it loosens because the screws are not as tight as they once were.

I'd love to hear the experiences of the good folks here.

Just glue a toothpick into the holes, and they will be as good as new.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

I had thought of that, as I've done it trying to re-install door knob hardware, but I didn't think it would be sufficient for a high traffic area like stair treads.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrad View Post
taking off each tread sounds like alot of work to me and you might ruin the wood doing so.. Just cut them with your circular saw and then use a sawzall for the places your circ saw won't reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
Do you have an oscillating saw for the end cuts instead of using a jigsaw?
No sawzall. And no budget for one.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Nailer View Post
I had thought of that, as I've done it trying to re-install door knob hardware, but I didn't think it would be sufficient for a high traffic area like stair treads.

If you don't feel confortable with that, just use dowels to plug the screw holes, and reinstall the treds with new holes.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote