Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #1

Share |

Stair Flooring questions

I am in the process of slowly redoing my house. I have laminate flooring in the kitchen and currently in the process of doing 2 of the 3 bedrooms. The rest of my house is carpeted(and needs to be replaced). I am trying to figure out what to do with the staircase in my house, it is a straight one. I also have a small/medium size dog, and a cat.

Originally I had thought to continue with laminate on the staircase, but the wife is concerned with it being too slippery and from what I have read laminate is really not suited for stairs. The wife is also concerned with sound echoing so I was thinking maybe using cork but not sure if the laminate to cork would look good or how well it would stand up to being used in the stairway especially with the animals or if I only have cork in the stairway and a small landing at the base of the stairs.

avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #2

Stair Flooring questions

Forget about using laminate for the stairs, not a wise choice for lots of reasons.
Use real wood treads instead.
The "standard", easiest to find and most cost effective for stair treads is pine and red oak but there's dozens of other woods available at higher cost.
If you Google "stair parts" hundreds of web sites come up with all the materials and some even have install direction or videos. Most will even send you a sample.
And yes some even have bamboo treads available.

rusty baker (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Stair Flooring questions

And if you want the treads to match the laminate, experiment with some stains on scrap wood.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #4

Stair Flooring questions

I had already figured on not doing laminate. I was wondering how good cork would do in the stairwell. I may end up doing hardwood but really looking for something that can deaden sound better, I work a night shift and on my days off I tend to be up all night while everyone else is sleeping and I know how hardwood on stairs can sound from my grandparents houses.
avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

Stair Flooring questions

Use a carpet runner on the stairs.
If you use construction adhesive on the stringers as well as the fasteners it should be no louder then walking on laminate which is a loud hollow sounding floor.