Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Stair Fininshing

I've searched around and could not find this addressed anywhere else. To be honest, I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, please feel free to move as needed.

Here is my situation. I just finished replacing all the pine treads and press-board risers on my staircase in my house. I went back with all oak treads and risers. I stained and applied three coats of poly. They turned out great!

A couple of weeks ago, I came home from work and kicked off my shoes. I went upstairs to my home office to attend to a few pressing issues. About an hour later, my wife called me down for dinner. I proceed to head down the stairs (remember that I was shoe-less, only socks on). I remember stepping on the first tread or two. After that, I was laying at the bottom of the stairs with my wife trying to help me up, and my two wonderful off-spring laughing at daddy!

Ok, I learned not to wear just socks on the stairs. My question is this...Would it be possible/advisable to mix some light sand in with poly to prevent this time of incident from recurring to myself of others? (Although if it happened to the kids, it might not be such a bad thing! )

Thanks in advance for any advise.

yarddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Stair Fininshing

There are anti-slip coatings and paints available, you could tape off something like a 2" strip at the end of each step, and paint on non-slip paint. There are clear options, google "non skid coating" or something like that. Other folks have used black grip tape, but I'm not sure how that would look.

Look here, the first option comes in clear: link

oakback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane, stair treads, stairs