Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Stains Tested On Floor

The guy that is going to stain our floors came by showed us a few Dura seal stains we liked. I really don't know how the ebony is the darkest stain on the stain chart but came out the lightest on the floor. I hope this guy is not creating his own stains. I am thinking about telling him I will buy the stain myself. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Stains Tested On Floor-photo-12-.jpg  

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

Stains Tested On Floor

If you buy your own stain, don't be surprised if he raises his estimate. He would normally make a markup on the stain.

sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Stains Tested On Floor

The darker the stain the more the dirt will show.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #4

Stains Tested On Floor

BTW, how many coats of stain are suppose to be applied?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Stains Tested On Floor

I dont think that is an accurate sample of ebony stain. He either did not mix the stain well, or did not sand the area well where the ebony stain was. Another possibility is that area was sanded too smoothly. I am sure he did not create the stain colors himself. I would ask him to do some more samples.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Stains Tested On Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoodfloorguy View Post
I dont think that is an accurate sample of ebony stain. He either did not mix the stain well, or did not sand the area well where the ebony stain was. Another possibility is that area was sanded too smoothly. I am sure he did not create the stain colors himself. I would ask him to do some more samples.
Thanks WFG. I don;t think so either but it really make me wondering what he did. Could not mixing the stain well cause it to be that light? Also, the entire area was sanded the same and the other stains represent their true color.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Stains Tested On Floor

He most likely did not mix the stain and all the "ebont pigment" is on the bottom. Not sanding the floor well will make it darker anyway. The finer the sand paper the more closed the pours will be the less the stain penatrates. Buying your own stain as long as you use the brans that he uses he shouldnt charge more because he does not have to buy the stain. Suggest to him to water wipe the floor prior to staining. This will give you a more even stain job when using high pigmented stains. Make sure to let the water dry completly tho and do not drag anything across floor after water wiping as the pours will be open dramatically.
skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 252

Stains Tested On Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipoff View Post
He most likely did not mix the stain and all the "ebont pigment" is on the bottom. Not sanding the floor well will make it darker anyway. The finer the sand paper the more closed the pours will be the less the stain penatrates. Buying your own stain as long as you use the brans that he uses he shouldnt charge more because he does not have to buy the stain. Suggest to him to water wipe the floor prior to staining. This will give you a more even stain job when using high pigmented stains. Make sure to let the water dry completly tho and do not drag anything across floor after water wiping as the pours will be open dramatically.

I agree. It probably wasn't mixed well. Also agree with water popping.. Be sure to apply the water evenly and to get every inch of the floor with the water.. As missing a corner or something will cause that area to not take the stain as evenly.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote