Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

Staining wood floors

How long should floor stain take to dry?? We applied a coat Sunday night we did not read any directions, so I sanded again applied small patches so I could wipe off the excess stain today, can says 4-6 hrs been 5 so far and I don't see much drying progress!! Does if completely dry before you apply the clear coat or does it have that sticky feel too it??

beginner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

Staining wood floors

Was the floor sanded down to bare wood so there was 0 old seal left on the wood?
What type stain and wood is it?
You did not use Gel stain and not wipe it off with a rag did you?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Staining wood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Was the floor sanded down to bare wood so there was 0 old seal left on the wood?
What type stain and wood is it?
You did not use Gel stain and not wipe it off with a rag did you?
As much as I could! It was still sticky and I used a rented sander and it was just gumming up on the paper so I kept changing and changing it! Then we swept it and used some stripper on the bad spots! We used mini wax and the floors the wood is the original wood I'm assuming it was built in 1915.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Staining wood floors

It all needed to go not just most of it. Stain will just float on top of the sealer.
Also a strip should have been used, it can effect the stain.
A common mistake is using the wrong type sander, let me guess you used the one with the round disk instead of one with a belt.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

Staining wood floors

Quote:
It all needed to go not just most of it. Stain will just float on top of the sealer.
Also a strip should have been used, it can effect the stain.
A common mistake is using the wrong type sander, let me guess you used the one with the round disk instead of one with a belt.
It was a square flat sander, kind of like a mower just back and forth strips. It is starting to dry. Am I just sol now or what?? Also you can see the lines in it I don't know how to get rid of those?? Do I need to start completely over?? I really hope not!!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

Staining wood floors

Staining wood floors-image-1393907604.jpg
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

Staining wood floors

We have a few real flooring guys on here I'm hoping some of them will chime in. There's something very wrong going on there.
Why is there areas that looks like someone was rolling the stain on and just stopped?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

Staining wood floors

Quote:
We have a few real flooring guys on here I'm hoping some of them will chime in. There's something very wrong going on there.
Why is there areas that looks like someone was rolling the stain on and just stopped?
That's what I was confused about! The can said you apply and 15min later you whipe off the excess stain, so obviously you wouldn't do an entire floor and in 15 min walk on it and while off the excess would you??
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
DIY staff

Staining wood floors

We have several full time floor guys here---best to wait until one of them looks in---

I suspect you did not sand cleanly down to raw wood---

Also, When staining---it is best to stain an entire section ending with the edge of a board--about 3 feet wide---wait until the stain has soaked into the wood--then rag off the excess--

If the stain did not penetrate into the wood, instead pooling on the surface--if left to dry it will get sticky and stay that way for a long time----

Let's wait----I build a lot of cabinets and understand staining ---but let's see what a hardwood finisher has to say---
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #10

Staining wood floors

I'm no wood floor refinish pro but all the ones I have done I've brushed it on about 6, or 7 rows and go back and wipe it off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (03-08-2013), oh'mike (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

Staining wood floors

Quote:
I'm no wood floor refinish pro but all the ones I have done I've brushed it on about 6, or 7 rows and go back and wipe it off.
So make strips about 3 feet wide the entire length of the room and wait the 15 min and walk on it and whipe off the excess??? The pic is the dining room and the living room is the room next to it the living room flows into the dining room so I'm afraid it's going to have the lines there too!! It's drying but how do I fix it now??
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
DIY staff

Staining wood floors

You have to much stain on top of the wood---you need to remove that with mineral spirits--

stain will dissolve and wipe off---then one more thin coat--only wait a couple of minutes and rag off the excess---

working alomg the length of the boards----stain as far as you can reach--about 3 feet---do the entire length of the room--then go right bach and rag off the extra--

move another arms reach and apply--then rag off---
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #13

Staining wood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
You have to much stain on top of the wood---you need to remove that with mineral spirits--

stain will dissolve and wipe off---then one more thin coat--only wait a couple of minutes and rag off the excess---

working alomg the length of the boards----stain as far as you can reach--about 3 feet---do the entire length of the room--then go right bach and rag off the extra--

move another arms reach and apply--then rag off---
Ok so how long does the mineral spirits need to sit in the stain?? Why does the can say wait 15 min if you can just go right back and wipe off?? So go along the entire length of the room in 3 foot wide strips?? I go with the grain correct?? This has been a pain in the ass!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #14

Staining wood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner50 View Post
Ok so how long does the mineral spirits need to sit in the stain?? Why does the can say wait 15 min if you can just go right back and wipe off?? So go along the entire length of the room in 3 foot wide strips?? I go with the grain correct?? This has been a pain in the ass!!!
The can says you can wait 15 minutes, but this all depends on how dark you want the finish. If you wipe it right away it'll be lighter than if you left it on for the full 15 minutes. You should also test a spot that is in an inconspicuous area first to see how it will look, how long to leave the stain on before wiping, and whether you need to use a wood conditioner first to avoid a blotchy finish. That usually depends on what type of wood you have. I installed a solid maple floor back in the 80's and wanted a walnut color finish. Unfortunately the maple didn't like the dark color and it was blotchy and looked awful. I ended up stripping it a year later and redoing it in a natural finish and it came out much better.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #15

Staining wood floors

Can anyone explain exactly how to remove the stain with mineral spirits?? I'm very frustrated at this point, it has screwed up the whole house all the furniture is in my living room! I just want to get it done right and get it done!! Thanks

Tags
stain wood