Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Squeeky Floors

I have oak floors over a diagonal board subfloor. House is from the early 1970s.

There is a section of flooring that squeaks like crazy. Here's the cause of the problem: There is a beam in the basement on posts. Pretty standard. There is a hallway upstairs. Both walls of the hall are loadbearing, and straddle the beam. So there is a little crown in the hall floor.

It's probably been that way since the house was built, or else shortly thereafter. There is no way to change that at this point.

The flooring, as a result, is a little loose. Hard to make long straight boards conform to a compound curve. I can actually feel the flooring move if I have bare feet.

What's the best way to make the floor stop squeaking? I'm thinking maybe screws from underneath. If that's the case, how do I a) determine how long the screws should be and b) where to put them so they come up in the floor boards and not between them.

It's probably 40 or 50 boards -- a whole area of flooring, not just one or two boards.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #2

Squeeky Floors

seen this fix on Ask this Old House and it was with wood floors.might check there site or youtube if you can.basically the trick is to catch a beam and drill down into it then snap the head off the screw and fill the hole with matching (wood stick) filler.the trick is to take a drill and a bit the diameter of a streched out paper clip...drill the hole and probeit with the paper clip when it stops short thats a beam to start from....the snapping of the screw head is a gizmo that the bit goes thru on the drill head..when you screw it down with a slight tilt on the drill and the head snaps off...fill it in and move on... if floor ceiling/beams are 16" C to C your good to go...

Last edited by biggles; 01-27-2012 at 01:39 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Squeeky Floors

why not just countersink and plug?
there is a common bit that will give you a 3/8" diameter hole, countersunk to whatever depth you want, as well as a bit that predrills the screw.

then simply take, say, 1 1/2" deck screws and send them home.
then, you buy 3/8" tapered plugs in oak, tap them in with a little glue, sand flush if necessary, and spot finish them to match.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

Squeeky Floors

another cross section example...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #5

Squeeky Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombosi View Post
why not just countersink and plug?
Because it would make my floor look like swiss cheese and it would be kind of difficult to match the 40 year old finish.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

Squeeky Floors

I have fixed this two ways. Screwing from underneath works really well, I use deck screws so the floor sucks down hard to the subfloor. Determine your floor thickness by drilling a very small hole in an inconspicuous place like a closet, corner, or underneath the flange of an hvac vent. Under-size your screws by 1/4".

The other way I've used with success is to use a syringe to load the squeaky area with epoxy. I use a tiny drill bit (1/16th or less) to drill through the floor board (less obvious if you drill through a knot or other imperfection that is already there). Putting tape down first will prevent the finish from splintering, and it will simplify epoxy cleanup. After drilling all the holes, I mix up a batch of epoxy, suck it up in to a syringe, and pump it down between the floor and subfloor.

Use denatured alcohol to clean up anything messes while the epoxy is still liquid.

Stay off the floor as long as the stated curing time. Use wax furniture patching sticks over the holes and you will never notice them.

Good luck!

RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RenoStruct For This Useful Post:
pyper (01-30-2012)