Squeaky Wood Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Squeaky wood floor

I have a house built in the 1930's and wood floors throughout. In the kitchen the floors are especially squeaky. We've tried to drive a few screws up through the basement into the subfloor hoping to quiet the noises, though it hasn't helped, even a little.
I see on the internet other options like bracing, etc. that we could try. What would anyone recommend in this situation? Do we keep trying to work with what we have, or are we likely stuck with the noise?

Lately I've been tempted to just rip up the wood floors in the kitchen, put in a new subfloor, and tile it.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

k.kuenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

Squeaky wood floor

To stop the squeaking you will need to sink a screw right into the floor joist.
The squeaking commonly comes from loose nails sliding in and out of the joist or the layers of subfloors.
There are also times the sqeaking is in the orginal framing and there is not much you can do about it.
I would try a 2" deck screw into the floor joist. have the wife or a friend keep stepping the area while you are down screwing it down.
Many times you can chase a squeak right up under the wall.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Advertisement

26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Squeaky wood floor

That is a pain. We've lived with it in several houses. Here's an interesting link that goes into detail about how to fix it. Good luck!
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/218.shtml

Last edited by Allison1888; 11-14-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: delete weird formatting
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Squeaky wood floor

If the squeak is in the flooring itself, apply some powdered graphite into the flooring seams in the squeaky area. Due to it's powdery nature it work into the seam. May not be the best solution but sometimes it works.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 12-03-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Adertising Links Removed From Signature
seanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Squeaky wood floor

It really depends on what's actually squeaking. Is it the subfloor squeaking on the floor joist or the hardwood squeaking on the subfloor?? If it's the latter, I don't think there's much you can do, other than a lot of "face nailing" through both the finished floor and subfloor into the joists. (Not a good option.) If it's the former, another solution you can try is to apply a good bead of adhesive to either side of the floor joist and THEN run some screws at an angle into the subfloor, through the joist, to help hold until the glue sets. I've had pretty fair luck with this method. (I always tell the customer there's no guarantee, but it's a fairly inexpensive "trial and error" method.) Also, the longer you can stay off of the offending area, the better, to allow the adhesive maximum drying time.