Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Share |

squeaks in the floor

I have removed my old carpet and padding down to the 3/4 OSB. In two sheets of 4x8's the OSB is rubbing the floor joist. I have added several screws and still have the same results. Do I have to take up the OSB or can I put enough screws in to correct the problem? Someone glued 2x4 pieces under the floor joist to try and correct the problem but it did not work, so it will be a little more difficult to take out the OSB. What do you suggest? Thanks guys for your time and help.

worker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #2

squeaks in the floor

at least when they built this house,some sort of black stuff was put on the joists before the plywood sub-floor was nailed on, I guess to eliminate those squeaks you're talking about.

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

squeaks in the floor

A couple things you wrote I'm not clear about.

1. How can the OSB rub the joists? OSB is on top of the joists.

2. Are the added 2x4's under or next to the joists?

I'd be looking for a 'scimmer'. A nail that just hit the joists but did not go into it. Those'll drive you crazy. You can add dozens of screws in the area and still squeaks.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #4

squeaks in the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
A couple things you wrote I'm not clear about.

1. How can the OSB rub the joists? OSB is on top of the joists.

2. Are the added 2x4's under or next to the joists?

I'd be looking for a 'scimmer'. A nail that just hit the joists but did not go into it. Those'll drive you crazy. You can add dozens of screws in the area and still squeaks.

Jaz
Thank you JazMan for replying.
My initial thought was that they didn't get any construction adhesive between the OSB and the top of the floor joist, or maybe just not enough.I see where there are several pieces glued next to the floor joist and a couple pieces of OSB are glued and screwed between seams. I talked with a local flooring Co. and they suggested using a #9x3 countersinking drywall screw. I have put them in about every 3 inches into the floor joist and it didn't change a thing. I might also add that the main ductwork systems run opposite to the floor joist. The noise is only coming from two sheets OSB. Do you still think it may be scimmer? If so it will be very hard to get to.
Thanks so much for your time.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #5

squeaks in the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worker903 View Post
Thank you JazMan for replying.
My initial thought was that they didn't get any construction adhesive between the OSB and the top of the floor joist, or maybe just not enough.I see where there are several pieces glued next to the floor joist and a couple pieces of OSB are glued and screwed between seams. I talked with a local flooring Co. and they suggested using a #9x3 countersinking drywall screw. I have put them in about every 3 inches into the floor joist and it didn't change a thing. I might also add that the main ductwork systems run opposite to the floor joist. The noise is only coming from two sheets OSB. Do you still think it may be scimmer? If so it will be very hard to get to.
Thanks so much for your time.
I did forget to mention the home was built in 2002 if that helps any.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #6

squeaks in the floor

is the noise abo, if so it may be one of their hanging straps. have someone make the squeak while someone is below. also the 2x nailer you mentioned might not be fastened well chk it

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote