Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Square edge flooring?

Hi I need some advice as I am fairly new to this idea of square edge flooring instalation. I have about 2800 SF of black walnut being kiln dried. The board widths very from 4 to 15 inches. I want to put it in My addition. Can I square edge it or does it have to be tongue and grooved or what can I do with it as flooring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The lumber came off my property and should look great. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hdew; 11-18-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #2

Square edge flooring?

you wouldnt have to tongue and groove it but then you would have to face nail every board. tongue and groove makes the floor stronger and also hides gaps when the boards expand and contract. and you can hide almost all of the nails. but it is your house and you can do anything you want.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #3

Square edge flooring?

definitly use tounge and grove on the sides. you can get by not putting them on the ends. Make sure if the boards are over 5" wide you need to glue them as well as nail them.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Square edge flooring?

The tongue and groove system accomplishes several different things. First, it locks the boards together, so you do not get uplift as easily as you would if the boards are square cut. Second, the tongues partially hide the gap between the boards that inevitably opens up during the winter as the boards dry out. And the tongue hides the nail.

The North American Flooring Association (http://www.crescenthardwood.com/nofma/wfp.pdf)
states that square edge flooring is face nailed.

It may be possible to use hidden fastener techniques with square edge boards. In fact, there are a variety of systems commonly used on square edge deck boards, as most decking is sold square edge. I notice that Kreg has a new system of blind fasteners for deck boards, which might work with flooring installations as well as outside lumber. The deck board blind installation systems I am familiar with work with screws, but there may be nailing systems as well, I have not seen them. Some of the deck board systems use special fasteners that require grooves in the lumber. I would be interested to hear if anyone on this forum has adapted outside hidden fastener techniques to inside work. Personally, I have always used tongue and groove hardwood for inside work, with traditional blind nailing techniques.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote