Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sponges

Hey anyone out there, first time here, just a 54 year old woman creating a tile foyer. Wondering what is the difference between using a grout sponge vs a regular sponge? Is there chemicals on it? How long do I wait for grout to setup - I find if I wait too long the regular spong won't actually clean grout residue from the tile. Any help would be appreciated.

Susan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

sponges

Grout sponges are what's called "closed cell" sponges. What that means in technical terms, I have no idea. What that means to me as a tile installer is that it will celan the tile much better than a normal sponge-- that it's much more absorbant, and will pick up foreign material much more readily. I DO know it means that the holes in the sponge are much much smaller. How that helps, I'm not sure-- all I DO know is it makes a difference in grout cleanup.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #3

sponges

Bill, thankyou so much for your help . I have two huge dogs and I had to buy a trailer that was going to be demolished (cheap) and have been doing renovations ever since. It now actually looks like a home - but you know how us women are. We want what we want so if I have to do it myself - no biggie. Just need a little help from the experts such as yourself. Again, thanks! susan
Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

sponges

The proper sponges for cleaning grouts usually are labelled one of two ways. They are either called "grout sponges" or "hydraulic sponges" and they do make a difference when cleaning grout. It is the closed cells of these sponges that allow you to make one swipe without leaving a streak or residue deposit on the tile and they hang on to the fine grains of the sand.

I know I know,
what about grout haze? Before some of you come after me with that question I'll tell that on occasion and based on the texture of the tile multiple cleanings are required. But the plain truth for me over the years has been I just don't have near the problems cleaning grout that so many people on these forums seem to have. And I don't know why.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

sponges

hmmm, could it be a little OCD?

Lol it has served me well over the years
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Tile Contractor

sponges

Me too!! Back when I was a kid, the thing to use was natural sponges, as in sponges from a coral reef! Use em once for acid washing, and they were just as good as the grout sponges we use today!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

sponges

OK guys .... what's OCD? I agree natural sponges are usually best for anything - the old saying - you get what you pay for?! lol

Susan
Old 02-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Tile Contractor

sponges

obsessive compulsive disorder. Think Adrian Monk.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #9

sponges

OK lololol, love Adrian. Thanks again for you all's help!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #10

sponges

Thanks to Bud Cline for his informative answer! Ok here's another question - what's the acid wash part of doing tile? Don't laugh at me guys I laid this tile directly on the subflooring (which I have since found to be incorrect), didn't use spacers (have a good natural eye though), now what's this acid wash thing? Don't laugh at my ignorance! That's why I'm here! I groom racehorses for a living - not construction!

Susan
Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Tile Contractor

sponges

Susan, an old, but very true cliche says the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. I'd imagine if the conversation turned to horses, I'd be the one sounding pretty stupid, and that's with a father in law who had a horse ranch out in southern Utah.

In answer to your question, it used to be, before the grout sponges came out and it was tough to get a grout job somewhat spotless, that every tile installation, right after grouting, would get washed down with a muriatic (hydrochloric) acid solution. Even now, there are some commercial companies that still wash down alot of their installations, but it's not proper, for may reasons. First, muriatic acid is extremely dangerous, both to people and animals, as well as many finishes, especially those involving metal. I found out the hard way when I was an apprentice-- just the fumes are enough to do real damage. i washed down the lobby of an office building under construction one fine saturday, and came in monday morning to find that a brandy new stainless waterfountain about 100 feet from where I'd been working was now a real pretty ORANGE. My father took the 1600.00 to replace that out of my paycheck.

In addition, not only does acid-- even the weakest ones like vinegar-- bleach color out of grout and slightly break it down, but many glazes now are very sensitive to acids, and can very easily be ruined by the use of acid. For all these reasons, the use of acid is highly discouraged in the trade.

Last edited by Bill_Vincent; 02-23-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Bill_Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #12

sponges

OK that explains that I don't need to do the acid thing. I went with a ceramic tile (eliance) that Home Depot carries. With a premixed (grey) grout. The biggest problem I have is (seems to me) is when wiping down the tile I take more grout up than I actually use. I do have one of those tools (don't know what they're called) to apply the grout and do a pretty good job getting it in - but when using the sponge it's so hard to get off the ceramic without taking up from the line of grout too! I guess practice makes perfect. Just was wondering if there's a special technique to avoid that?

susan
Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Tile Contractor

sponges

Uh oh. Susan, by "premixed" please tell me you're not talking about something you just open up and spread!! You DO have to mix it with water, right?
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

sponges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Wilson View Post
Hey anyone out there, first time here, just a 54 year old woman creating a tile foyer. Wondering what is the difference between using a grout sponge vs a regular sponge? Is there chemicals on it? How long do I wait for grout to setup - I find if I wait too long the regular spong won't actually clean grout residue from the tile. Any help would be appreciated.

You go girl!!!!
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #15

sponges

Bill .... I sense the uh oh means i messed up (again) lolol. No water - just open and use. Sets up really fast too.

susan