Species Of Flooring? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Species of flooring?

My husband and I recently bought a home, and it has wood floors underneath all the carpet. Our plan is to refinish the floors, but we would like to know what species of wood the floors are. The house was built in about 1890. I think the floors are either white oak, or heart pine. It could of course be something else entirely. I've attached some pictures, hope they help!
Thanks so much for any help!

Advertisement

de_sjiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Species of flooring?

It's not Oak.

Looks like Southern Yellow pine to me... Particularly if you're in the South.

Advertisement

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Species of flooring?

could also be long leaf pine. the house i just bought was built around 1920 and all the floors are long leaf pine. they are still in beautiful shape. i dont have any good pictures of just the floor offhand (and now they are covered in plaster & drywall dust.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/celloph...7622795744486/ - that's the best thing i have to a closeup of the floors.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/celloph...7622149466432/ - a wider shot, floors show up kind of dark, but that is just the lighting.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #4

Species of flooring?

We're in michigan, actually.. so i guess they are some sort of pine then.. the second picture that cellophane posted looks very similar to our bedroom, now that its been cleaned up a little..

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Species of flooring?

that parquet detailing you have in the corners is pretty awesome as well!
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #6

Species of flooring?

the corners/borders that they have is incredible, and all the floors have it (even the hallway and the 2 larger closets!) One room does that corner parquet thing all the way to the center of the room. It was all under carpet before we bought the house, and we didn't really know it was there until we started pulling up carpet. Our original intention was to recarpet, but then we saw it, and our plans changed!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

Species of flooring?

Sanded and refinished, those should be beautiful. I have covered many wood floors with carpet thru the years and hated it.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Species of flooring?

Almost certainly Michigan White Pine, a now nearly extinct species of tree. Michigan was clear cut of timber during the late 1800's, much of it Michigan White Pine. Towering trees, up to 15 ft diameter, with straight grained and light weight, yet surprisingly strong, wood.

See link for Hartwick Pines, the last remaining large stand of these trees in the State.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...0722--,00.html
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Species of flooring?

thats called a herringbone pattern
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #10

Species of flooring?

I think it is white pine, but a few boards do resemble Fir, but that could be because I don't get to work with old growth pine very often and the grain is tighter in the old growth stuff.
White Pine is my final answer...lol
Beautiful floor, but they were high rollers back in the day when they finally got wall to wall carpet!

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #11

Species of flooring?

thanks so much for the replies! Its much nicer knowing what kind of wood we have in here! We will definitely give it much tlc since it is pine! Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

Species of flooring?

It's not white pine. It's southern yellow pine, often times refered to as heart pine. We refinish a lot of floors here in NE Missouri with heart pine. They finish up beautifully. Heart pine/southern yellow pine is one of the hardest species of pine.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #13

Species of flooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_sjiem View Post
thanks so much for the replies! Its much nicer knowing what kind of wood we have in here! We will definitely give it much tlc since it is pine! Thanks!

It will look great if you refinish it.

Not knowing the species for sure, I don't know how hard it will be -- some pine is pretty darn hard.

But you might want to avoid things like spike heals. Especially since it's flat sawn. You have the exposed soft bits between the hard bits, and the soft bits could be pretty tender.

Just going on the pictures and my experiences with wood that looks like what you have in the pictures, you might want to consider a soft finish on it, and not something like polyurethane that will flake off when the wood gets dented. But do keep in mind I haven't actually seen your wood, and it might be a lot harder than I'd guess from the picture.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #14

Species of flooring?

its seems pretty darn hard. we were able to pull up tack strips without denting it with the pry bar... (My husband pulled a bunch up without anything underneath, and it didn't leave any marks, besides the nail holes..)

Definitely no spike heels (don't even own any, probably won't ever either) Stocking feet only!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #15

Species of flooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_sjiem View Post
its seems pretty darn hard.
If it is southern yellow, then it's hard, but not as hard as the bamboo I put down over my southern yellow. My flooring obviously didn't look any where near as good as yours.

It's going to look great, but treat it with extra care until you learn from experience how it's going to hold up.

Look into options for finishing pine. I've read a lot of good things about oil finishes for softwood flooring.

Advertisement