Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Span the joists 12 O.C. for tiled area

I am buying a new conrustion house. The company is giving hardwood in the stairs area, but I need the area to be tiled. Even after going all the way high up in the compnay they are saying it not possible. Construction companies expalnation as follows "Our floor joists on the main floor pare separated at a span of 16 O.C. where in a tiled area we are required to span the joists 12 O.C. "

i did some research online about OC but cannot get not understand the technicality. I need help / advise to understand that if i can rip of the hardwood floor and put tiles? If I do tiles do I need to do any changes?

Thank you for the help in advance

bvora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

you don't need joists on 12 inch centers for tile. but more information would help people here with what you want to do. size and type of tile, the unsupported length of the floor joists and the size and what material did they use for the subfloor, pictures help a lot.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Where are you located? I never heard of 12" OC floor joist required except under maybe a large tub?????
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4

the spacing of floor joists may require 12" o.c. depending on the span of the floor joists, size of joists, physical properties of the joists and the type of tile being installed. The typical code minimum live load deflection limits is L/360 (L = span in inches). If you were installing marble tile the Marble Institute of America recommends a deflection limit of L/720, which is half of the code minimum. To accomplish the higher limit for deflection would require either taller joists, less spacing between the joists or a combination of both. Limiting the span of joists would also aid.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote