Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Hello,

The people above me installed hardwood with SOLID SOUND PLUS
Now I hear footsteps and even get WOKEN UP!

Is SOLID SOUND PLUS COMPLETE GARBAGE?

What should I do?

AwokenTooOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,428
Rewards Points: 198
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Never heard of it and nothing came up on Bing.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,551
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


[QUOTE=AwokenTooOften;1094474]Hello,

The people above me installed hardwood with SOLID SOUND PLUS
Now I hear footsteps and even get WOKEN UP!

Is SOLID SOUND PLUS COMPLETE GARBAGE?

What should I do?[/QUOte



That stuff is supposed to drastically reduce sound transfer between floors.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Quote:
That stuff is supposed to drastically reduce sound transfer between floors.
By supposed to, do you mean they market it that way or other people say that?
AwokenTooOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


http://www.solidsoundplus.com/

http://www.trademarkinternational.co...und/about.html

the install directions say to glue the underlayment to the floor and glue the new wood to the underlayment.
its 2mm foam underlayment

Last edited by DannyT; 01-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 221
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AwokenTooOften View Post
Hello,

The people above me installed hardwood with SOLID SOUND PLUS
Now I hear footsteps and even get WOKEN UP!

Is SOLID SOUND PLUS COMPLETE GARBAGE?

What should I do?
I'm an engineer, but not a sound engineer. Comparing their test data to other IIC STC reports, their results are comparable to similar flooring systems that did not use their product. I suspect that most of the reduction in sound transmission comes from the other components in the test floor. They did not perform a comparison test between the floor with and without their product, so I can't say definitively.

From the companies literature,
Results: What is truly important considering Solid Sound Plus ?
Most people use SS+ to reduce the hollow, "reflected" sound commonly experienced with lower quality foams used beneath "floated" floors.
The company does not claim this is some miracle product to stop or even reduce sound transmission, just modify its profile. I think you and your upstairs neighbor were expecting more. This stuff is only 2mm (1/16in) thick, so I would not expect much reduction in sound transmission.

I also found it interesting that they claim an R value of 3, but as is typical in the insulation industry they did not specify the test conditions. So if I fill my walls with this stuff can I get R-135, probably not.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goosebarry For This Useful Post:
AwokenTooOften (01-23-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 729
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


earplugs or move.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,474
Rewards Points: 58
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Sounds like (get it ) it's more supposed to help the sound for the people walking on it than the people under it. Since they added this I think I would have a long talk with the landlord.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
AwokenTooOften (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post
I'm an engineer, but not a sound engineer. Comparing their test data to other IIC STC reports, their results are comparable to similar flooring systems that did not use their product. I suspect that most of the reduction in sound transmission comes from the other components in the test floor. They did not perform a comparison test between the floor with and without their product, so I can't say definitively.

From the companies literature,
Results: What is truly important considering Solid Sound Plus ?
Most people use SS+ to reduce the hollow, "reflected" sound commonly experienced with lower quality foams used beneath "floated" floors.
The company does not claim this is some miracle product to stop or even reduce sound transmission, just modify its profile. I think you and your upstairs neighbor were expecting more. This stuff is only 2mm (1/16in) thick, so I would not expect much reduction in sound transmission.

I also found it interesting that they claim an R value of 3, but as is typical in the insulation industry they did not specify the test conditions. So if I fill my walls with this stuff can I get R-135, probably not.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Strata bylaws say it must minimize transmission of noise to other strata lots. Does this stuff come near to this requirement or are there way better products out there for minimizing noise transmission to other strata lots?


Strata told me this in an email:
An acoustic membrane must be installed before any laminate or manufactured hardwood floor covering is laid and must have an Impact Insulation Class (IIC) of at least 72 (ASTM E-492-90) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) of at least 73 (ASTM 90-02). All work must be completed by qualified flooring professionals

Solid sound says this:

- IIC/STC 75 / 73 were reportedin tests of floor systems constructed similarly to those in use where these measurements are critical or part of code requirements. These involved the use of Engineeredall wood flooring, Solid Sound Plus ,Gypcrete leveling material, OSB Sub-floor, wood truss joists, insulation between framing,resilient channels (hanging system), vapor barrier, and 5/8"drywall ceiling.This cross section is common in several parts of Canada, in construction of 2 5 Floor frame construction buildings, where the product is often installed.


They say they meet the ratings laid out by strata but they also list a bunch of other materials that I'm not familiar with. Are there things in that list that would provide a larger than normal amount of sound dampening so if tested in my building their ratings would be lower than 75/73? Do all these additional factors mean their sound rating test wasn't a legitimate certified test and these are just bs numbers?
AwokenTooOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Is solid sound as loud as it seems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Sounds like (get it ) it's more supposed to help the sound for the people walking on it than the people under it. Since they added this I think I would have a long talk with the landlord.
haha very funny

Unfortunately, I and the people above me are owners, so there's no landlords to get at and I don't think either of us are going any where soon. I did speak to the people above and asked them nicely to stop waking me up. They didn't even give a half ass 'oh sorry we'll try to be quieter'. Just kept saying 'well, strata approved it so I don't have to do anything.' I've since escalated to less friendly approaches which seem to be helping.

AwokenTooOften is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
garbage, solid sound


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too dang loud! funfool Home Theater 13 01-30-2014 05:08 PM
Troubleshooting Buzzing Sound - Induced Draft Motor? eagleiiii HVAC 8 12-27-2010 10:57 AM
My floor joists's make a crack sound. cprince Carpentry 3 11-20-2010 11:37 AM
Tick sound in joists cprince HVAC 3 11-01-2010 02:31 PM
RE: Loud and Noisy Furnace - LENNOX 90UGF Please help. amilayajr HVAC 10 10-11-2009 06:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.