Which Is Softer...cork Glue Down Or Cork Laminate? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which is softer...cork glue down or cork laminate?

I am putting in a cork floor in my kitchen as was wondering if there was a difference between the 2.

Is one better than the other ....is one softer than the other?

What about thickness of the glue down? Is thicker better or will that cause problems? I have 2 rolling butcher blocks/islands that are 2' x 3'. Will this be too heavy for a cork floor?

Also, is pieces become damaged, is it easy to replace ther cork glue down or laminate?

Thanks

Advertisement

howdihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

There is a difference in the 2. Cork tiles are only 1/8in. thick. Cork laminate is thicker and has cork on the bottom. You can use cork underlayment under the tiles (or the laminate) to make it softer. You have to make sure it is very dense and full spreed with a urethane glue. Glue only under the tile, loose lay under laminate. Cork is easily repaired. On tile you will just replace a tile. On the laminate it is a little more tricky. Depending on the pattern you take an extra peice and find a peice of the pattern that is big enough to cover the damaged area. Take an exacto knife and cut the peice of the pattern on the pattern. Slowly pry and scrape the pattern off. Take care not to damage it. Hold the peice over the damaged area tightly. Use the exacto knife and trace the peice. Pull the damaged peice out and glue the new peice in with a premium wood glue. If done properly the repair will be invisible.

Advertisement

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. Which one is softer or more comfortable to stand or walk on? Are they the same? Or is the laminate better?
howdihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

They both have a 1/8" wear layer. They will feel about the same. The laminate will be easier to install. I forgot to mention that in a wet area (kitchen, bath) I always put two coats of polyurithane over the floor to make sure no water gets in the cracks. It is not nessisary with tile as long as you use a thin spread tile addhisive. Cork is impervious to water. You still should use the poly on the laminate. The cork may not absorb water but, the core will.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote