Smoothing Out Basement Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Smoothing Out Basement Floor

Hi I am new to this blog and am hoping someone may be able to guide me through my basement troubles.

My basement was badly flooded during Hurrican Irene resulting in the need to completely gutt and sanitize.
Unfortunately, it was an occupied space and needs to be refinished again. I have installed a french drain and upgraded my sump pump but i noticed many areas in my floor that have pooling issues when water is present.

The floor is not smooth by any stretch. I'm wondering if there is a "quick fix" for this? What i mean by this is, i would like to avoid tearing out all the existing concrete and repouring if there is an easier, efficient way to fill in these dents and crevices in the floor. End result, I had planned to epoxy the floor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

pnk1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is a "quick fix" for this? What i mean by this is, i would like to avoid tearing out all the existing concrete and repouring if there is an easier, efficient way to fill in these dents and crevices in the floor.
Yes there is but it won't be in-expensive.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #3

Ok. I have a contractor who gutted the basement and cleaned it up, who offered no solutions and planned to just paint the floor. Gave me a quote of $35,000 to replace my boiler, sump pump, water heater, put up new walls, do the floors & paint. So roughly what is "won't be in-expensive". I beleive I'm being ripped off so if there is a way i can maybe get him to fix the floor - I'll do the rest if i have to in order to save money.
pnk1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
So roughly what is "won't be in-expensive".
None of us that participate here are here to give estimates. This is a DIY Website.

If you have a contractor to deal with the floor then that is who you should be getting estimates from.

Quote:
I beleive I'm being ripped off so if there is a way i can maybe get him to fix the floor - I'll do the rest
The thing to do in that case is to solicit additional estimates from other local contractors.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

There are some self leveling products that may be used to make the floor smooth. TEC products makes a good one. Dramatic products is another good one also. Be sure to use primer before pouring self leveler.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

Clean the concrete surface and remove all stains from the surface. Determine how level the surface is, and what kind of shape it is in. A string level works well along with the tape measure to determine the amount of variance, and location of the variance, on the surface. Go out and buy a smoothing product called latex screed you can get it from your builder`s supplies. Mix as per instructions and apply 3mm on your floor with a flat trowel.
Kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
Clean the concrete surface and remove all stains from the surface. Determine how level the surface is, and what kind of shape it is in. A string level works well along with the tape measure to determine the amount of variance, and location of the variance, on the surface. Go out and buy a smoothing product called latex screed you can get it from your builder`s supplies. Mix as per instructions and apply 3mm on your floor with a flat trowel.
It's a bad idea to use any latex based filler on a floor. Cementious based should always be used.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Self leveling compound is the product---There is a learning curve applying it. It doesn't 'self vevel' very well and needs some help.

If you are interested come back and one of us will give you the low down.---Mike---

Advertisement