DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Smoothing Out Basement Floor (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/smoothing-out-basement-floor-122355/)

pnk1113 11-04-2011 01:08 PM

Smoothing Out Basement Floor
 
Hi I am new to this blog and am hoping someone may be able to guide me through my basement troubles.

My basement was badly flooded during Hurrican Irene resulting in the need to completely gutt and sanitize.
Unfortunately, it was an occupied space and needs to be refinished again. I have installed a french drain and upgraded my sump pump but i noticed many areas in my floor that have pooling issues when water is present.

The floor is not smooth by any stretch. I'm wondering if there is a "quick fix" for this? What i mean by this is, i would like to avoid tearing out all the existing concrete and repouring if there is an easier, efficient way to fill in these dents and crevices in the floor. End result, I had planned to epoxy the floor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bud Cline 11-04-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering if there is a "quick fix" for this? What i mean by this is, i would like to avoid tearing out all the existing concrete and repouring if there is an easier, efficient way to fill in these dents and crevices in the floor.
Yes there is but it won't be in-expensive.:no:

pnk1113 11-04-2011 02:56 PM

Smoothing out basement floor
 
Ok. I have a contractor who gutted the basement and cleaned it up, who offered no solutions and planned to just paint the floor. Gave me a quote of $35,000 to replace my boiler, sump pump, water heater, put up new walls, do the floors & paint. So roughly what is "won't be in-expensive". I beleive I'm being ripped off so if there is a way i can maybe get him to fix the floor - I'll do the rest if i have to in order to save money.:(

Bud Cline 11-04-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

So roughly what is "won't be in-expensive".
None of us that participate here are here to give estimates. This is a DIY Website.

If you have a contractor to deal with the floor then that is who you should be getting estimates from.

Quote:

I beleive I'm being ripped off so if there is a way i can maybe get him to fix the floor - I'll do the rest
The thing to do in that case is to solicit additional estimates from other local contractors.:yes:

plowboy 11-04-2011 10:14 PM

There are some self leveling products that may be used to make the floor smooth. TEC products makes a good one. Dramatic products is another good one also. Be sure to use primer before pouring self leveler.

Kaylee 11-06-2011 10:22 PM

Clean the concrete surface and remove all stains from the surface. Determine how level the surface is, and what kind of shape it is in. A string level works well along with the tape measure to determine the amount of variance, and location of the variance, on the surface. Go out and buy a smoothing product called latex screed you can get it from your builder`s supplies. Mix as per instructions and apply 3mm on your floor with a flat trowel.

rusty baker 11-07-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylee (Post 765493)
Clean the concrete surface and remove all stains from the surface. Determine how level the surface is, and what kind of shape it is in. A string level works well along with the tape measure to determine the amount of variance, and location of the variance, on the surface. Go out and buy a smoothing product called latex screed you can get it from your builder`s supplies. Mix as per instructions and apply 3mm on your floor with a flat trowel.

It's a bad idea to use any latex based filler on a floor. Cementious based should always be used.

oh'mike 11-07-2011 06:20 AM

Self leveling compound is the product---There is a learning curve applying it. It doesn't 'self vevel' very well and needs some help.

If you are interested come back and one of us will give you the low down.---Mike---


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.