Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

Small tile project - split foyer landing

I had a small tile project to complete in my split foyer house's entryway landing. I checked out how much deflection I'd have in my floor using John Bridge's "Deflecto meter" here: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl Subfloor looked to be 11/16". Span is 4'. 2x8s @16" OC.

For joists that are Unknown wood, but in good condition, 7.25 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide, 16 inches on center, and 4.5 feet long between supports, the deflection calculated is 0.027 inches.
This translates to a deflection of L / 1991. I was good to go for tile.

Previously on this subfloor there was vinyl tile that I had to peel up. I used Versabond modified thinset with a 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" trowel, and Hardiebacker (1/4"), screwed according to their recommended schedule. I backburned the tiles before laying them. More than you ever wanted to know here: (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ght=backbutter)

One challenge was matching up the installed tile height with my 3/4" hardwood stair nosing. The Thinset / Hardiebacker / Thinset / Tile came out right around 3/4", so that worked out.

Coming up are some pics.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 06-27-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

I put new risers on all the steps (and new treads comign) and got this little "piece" filled in there. Certainly not perfect, but hey, it was "free" and it'll be "good enough for a rental" and 100x better than what I started with.

There is a second piece of 2x lumber that's barely visible under that line. Had to cut down that line so that the new piece of subfloor would have something solid to screw into.

My plunge cut skills with a circular saw are lacking. Screaming kids didn't help either. Could only get this close. Rest I had to get out with a chisel.

Cut is finished; new riser is in place.

Liquid Nails under this. Should be more than strong enough to hold the stair nosing, and support the tile. I hit it with a belt sander to match the seams.

Top two steps ere horribly out of square. Nothing a little caulk can't fix. "Good enough to rent" is what I keep telling myself.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Field done. They sure make the thinset trowel a lot easier looking to use on YouTube. I decided to go with the 1/4" spacer, and keep an eye on things as they went, since my tile width varied from 11 7/8" to 12".

Man, you get your lines, as soon as you spread the thinset and comb it, you can't see a damn thing.

The helper. She's scary.

Setting up the saw for an angled cut.

All my cuts, with my "map" where they go.

Ready for grout. Haven't gotten to that yet...always something coming up.