Small Piece Of Floor Needs Carpet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

small piece of floor needs carpet

here's the situation:
on the lower level of my house (some would call it a basement) I have a hallway (carpeted) and I recently cut a doorway into the wall. (into a room which is also carpeted)
I now have a small piece of floor to cover (approx. 3.5 in. x 30 in. where the 2x4 on the bottom of the wall used to be anchored to the concrete)
anybody got any ideas as to how I should cover this? actually pulling up the carpet and splicing on a piece of carpet with "hot glue tape" seems to be overkill for such a small piece.

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #2

If hot melt tape is overkill, you can just stick a piece of carpet down to the concrete with double sided carpet tape.

Either that, or stick a piece of underpad down to the concrete with double sided carpet tape, and then stick a piece of carpet down to that piece of underpad with double sided carpet tape. You're going to get about 30 feet of 2 inch wide carpet tape even in the smallest roll, so you may as well use it up cuz by the time you need it next, you'll have forgotten where you put it and go out and buy another roll anyhow.

If you have a heat gun, I'd singe the edges of that piece of carpet to prevent it from ravelling in service.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #3

hmmmm......I've got some adhesive that I used to stick down some indoor/outdoor carpet on a concrete porch ...think I could use that? yes,the next guy that goes to replace that carpet (who knows,I might live that long myself:-) would be cursing my soul but who really cares?

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

If I am reading this right, this seems like an easy and attractive fix. Take a nice piece of oak, (you can get a piece of 1"x4"x36" from the 'box stores') ease, or 45 degree the edges and sand to prevent 'foot damage' and make a threshold for the new doorway/entryway/throughway. If you have installed a door jamb, you can still cope cut it to fit and then liquid nail it to the floor.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #5

It's not a problem to use the same adhesive as you used to install outdoor carpet to stick this piece down. Any flooring installer would just scrape it off the floor with a floor scraper and, it's he's a perfectionist, might remove the old glue with a heat gun.

You can install a hardwood threshold. Alternatively, just look in your yellow pages phone directory under Doors or under Weatherstripping, and some of the places you contact will sell aluminum thresholds in various widths that you can screw down to the concrete floor. The threshold will also serve to pin down the carpet on both sides of the doorway. These aluminum thresholds typically come in 20 foot lengths, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 inches in width and they are sold by the foot.

Also, the place where I buy my thresholds has a policy of hiring the stupidest people who apply because when you pay extra for having screw holes drilled and counter sunk in the threshold, the guy doing it won't even bother to make them evenly spaced. You'll have 3 inches of space between two holes, and 8 inches before the next hole, then 5 inches, and then 12 inches. Or, he'll drill and countersink a screw hole 1/2 inch away from the end of the threshold, pretending not to realize that you can't use that hole. To avoid unnecessary aggrivation, mark, drill and countersink the screw holes in some sort of logical arrangement yourself.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 11-08-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote