Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

Small dip in concrete floor.

My problem is as the heading says. I have recently put down a laminate floor
and thought our concrete floor was level. Unfortunately this appears not to be the case. In one small area the floor has a dip and as we walk on that area the floor boards are bouncing. My question is is there any way i could pack up this small part of the floor? I have been told that I will have to pull up all the laminate floor.I do not want to pull up the whole floor again for such a small area. Is there anything I could use. The dip is about 12 inches long by about 6 inches wide. It drops by approx an inch. With hindsite i should have checked all areas but it looked ok. I know it is my fault. Please can someone advise me what to do? I am desperate now because this part of the floor is in constant use. I can pull up the boards on the problem part. My husband is saying that I am not to use the wet self levelling compoud in case it damages the other part of the laminate floor.
Thank you

kath81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Tileguy

Any irregularities in a substrate MUST BE ADDRESSED PRIOR to installing a new floor.

The only "fix" is to remove the floor to access the offending area.

Over time...the boards may separate if you don't fix it.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks I thgt some one might say that. I do realise that I should have done that now hindsight is a wonderful thing! So when I pull up the floor could u tell me how to put it right please. Would you be so kind as to include approx drying times etc.
Thank you
kath81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
So when I pull up the floor could u tell me how to put it right please.
If the offending area is no bigger than you say, it should be easy enough to fill with some Portland cement floor patch material. Some floor patches are available in a fast drying recipe. Mix the patch, fill the hole and drag a straightedge across the top to shave it off at the proper level. About two hours waiting time should do it.

It really shouldn't be a major operation although it may sound as if it is.