Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sloping Engineered floors to level with next room

I've installed engineered flooring throughout my 1930's bungalow. Only the bathroom on the main level has different flooring (.5-in. Travertine).

Now, if the .5 inches was all I had to worry about, I'd be fine. My engineered floors are .5-inches thick, so the two rooms would meet up perfectly. The problem is that before I layed the travertine, I put down .5-in. cement board, and then mortared the tile with an additional .5-in. of mud.

The engineered flooring meets up with the travertine in two different doorways. In order to avoid putting down an inch of underlay throughout the entire house, I decided to slope the flooring in front of the doorways by stepping two pieces of 1/4-in. plywood to build a gradual rise, and then mudding over them with self-leveling cement to create a uniform slope.

Well, in one of the doorways this worked fine. With the joints of the engineered flooring running perpendicular to the slope, they were able to absorb the rise gradually. In the second doorway, though, where the engineered flooring is running directly into the slope, I am noticing a lot more "give" in the area around the slope.

I need to find a way to firm this up. I've tried using the rubber matting that they recommend for underneath engineered floors, but find I have to build it up too much, and have a difficult time getting a uniform feel. I've considered using floor patch, but I'm not sure if it's the right material for the job.

Any ideas?

jholschuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,450

Non expanding foam?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Not a bad idea. I have some window and door Great Stuff left over from my window installs. I'm worried about cleaning up the mess if it doesn't work.

Is the Window and Door version going to provide a solid enough base to keep the floors feeling consistent? Also, do you think I should put down the great stuff first and then splat the floor into it, or should I put down a few planks of the floor, and get the straw inside of the gap?

Thanks for your ideas.
jholschuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead spots, engineered flooring, leveling problems, slope, underlay