Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Sloping Cement Floor

I have two bathrooms at my workplace in which the drains are the high points of the room after years of wear. We have some plumbing issues that is not an affordable fix right now so I am wanting to relay cement over the flooring in order to slope the ground in the bathrooms slightly towards the drains.

I originally was going to pour self leveling underlayment along the whole floor and, once it is dry and set, go back along with a fine grinder to create the slope to the drains.

I was recently told that it might be better to use Portland Cement and shape the slope as a pour the cement. This would in turn use less material.

My concern is the thickness of Portland Cement, since I am still a beginner in this fashion, and I wouldn't want it to come out uneven.

Does anybody have any tips or advice on which method would be best, or any other ideas if you may have them? I also want to know how to best block the drains and edges of the room while laying the cement as to avoid it flowing where I don't want it?

Along with this, I would be laying self leveling underlayment in the hallway to have a smooth transition from the bathrooms and hallway, covering in epoxy paint at the end of the project. The hallway has an old layer of tile with dried carpet glue and kilz painted over it. Is it necessary to remove these tiles for laying the cement in that area?

Any and all help you be much appreciated!

guerin_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #2

Sloping Cement Floor

Skip the self-level in the bathroom. Portland cement, if you must.

To block the drains, use a rag or drain plug. To block at edges of room, wood, foam weather seal, caulk.

As for the hallway..
Putting stuff on top of crap still leaves you with crap. Remove the tiles.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cement, drain, floor, sloped concrete, underlayment