Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #1

Share |

Sliding Closet Door Track

I've just purchased some Traffic Master laminate, a 10mm AC3 to put down in my bedroom. The large window is parallel to the closet door so I have to butt the end up to the track for the sliding doors. A Home Depot associate recommended putting the laminate right into the closet and screwing the track down to the laminate. Is this okay? I thought the purpose of the laminate was to float. He said it was more of a side to side expansion if any and not so much end to end. I'm just afraid if I screw the track to th laminate its going to buckle or bump somewhere.

I'm not sure if putting trim along the track will look a finished.

I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.
PTivvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

The associate was wrong. Laminate flooring expands equally in all directions. You have a track on the floor or just guides? You could just go up to the door and use a transition piece. The laminate flooring will have accessories such as baseboard, quarter round, and transition pieces. You could also just silicone or epoxy to the surface with your guides and tracking. There won't be enough movement to mess with your door and it will allow for the expansion and contraction needed.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #3

Thanks, that's what I thought.

It's a metal track that the door slides on with a similar track on the ceiling.

I read somewhere about using PL Construction Adhesive but I'm not sure how that would stand up to the weight and sliding of the doors. I'm also worried about the warrantee.

I like the idea of the trim and was thinking of ripping a strip of 3/8th" plywood beneath the metal track that would bring it up to the same level as the laminate and then using the appropriate trim. Would the trim butt up against the track or just overlap it slightly?
PTivvy is offline   Reply With Quote