Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

slate patio problems

I need some help with why my 18 inch slate tiles are not adhering to my concrete base as well as why a lot of the grout is cracking and splitting. Is outdoor grout supposed to pull away from the tiles due to the outdoor elements? As opposed to interior ceramic tile grout which for the most part hardly ever cracks or splits.

jcrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #2

slate patio problems

I do not have alot of experience, but have installed a couple of exterior slate tile porches over existing concrete. The tiles need to be clean(no dust) for best adhesion. Thin set mortar is what I used. There are a few different kinds. Some have additives and some dont. The grout is a whole different story. It should not crack. Possibly mixed too wet? Too hot weather conditions....? Most tile stores have diy workshops.... Check that out. Best of luck and learning...

scott and darla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Tileguy

slate patio problems

Any regular Portland Cement grout should have worked outside if that's what you used.

How much did you pay for the thinset and what type did you use.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #4

slate patio problems

hmmmm...a number of variables I can think of.
Moisture issues, location issues, mixing issues, cement-type issues, slate issues, installation issues...heck, wouldn't know where to start. Just off the top of my head, those are areas that would concern me, if I were to do this, since each of these categories has "do's-and-don'ts" that could give rise to your problem(s).

I have rarely seen outdoor slate installations that went according to the homeowners expectations as one or several of the problems entered into one or more of these categories; for that reason, I try to present other options for outdoor applications, and/or present plenty of warnings as to what might happen. 'Slate' is not porcelain - and whereas porcelain can be put outdoors without problem, slate can't IMO - unless certain factors are dealt with beforehand.

Now for some, these problems are of no material concern as they tend to rip it out every few years, and for others they tend to find the installer at fault. But I'll tell you here and now that you will have problems unless a whole slew of variables has been managed to the best one can.

Unfortunately, even managing variables "well" is no guarantee of a problem-free patio.

You can always tell us exactly what you did, what product you used, what procedure was followed, where you bought the slate, where you are, what the location of this patio is - in short, everything you can. This way, we can spot some of the problems.

You may not like the answers tho'...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 08-08-2008 at 08:47 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Tileguy

slate patio problems

Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #6

slate patio problems

here's the major difference 'tween int & ext work - TEMPERATURE !!! unless you mix the proper mtls to match the expansion/contraction of the underlying conc, won't work,,, interior temps're more even ( no big swings ) therefore solid flooring doesn't change size as much challenging the qualities which make for good mortar beds, thin-sets, or grouts.

another issue's freeze-thaw & wtr-permeable setting mortar/grout,,, wtr freezes lifting tile even here in joe-jah,,, 1 of our specialties is removing patio tile & installing decorative conc over'ays which do last.

hopefully you saved enough diy to afford to dio
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Tileguy

slate patio problems