Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

slate floor help

Looking for some quick help - I'm trying to refinish a slate floor before I have surrounding hardwood refinished on Monday!

The existing slate was installed in 1959, and has been coated with something that doesn't look good - see pic:

slate floor help-slate2.jpg

suspecting wax, i went to home depot and from their stone section bought an abrasive stipper that was ok for natural stone. I followed the instructions, and tried a 2sqft area, scrubbing with a nylon abrasive pad. Nothing happened. I let the liquid set for a while and tried again. Nothing - nothing at all. In frustration i picked up my putty knife and scratched at it - immediately, the top coat gave way. I then tried it on a dry area, and it gave way too there. It didn't seem to scratch the slate underneath.

Trouble is, i've got about 100sqft of this, and can't use the putty knife on all of it! What do i do? My local Home depot has those floor scrubbing things for rent - do i get one with a really appressive real and just whirl it on dry?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks,
Matt

mmhendrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

slate floor help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhendrie View Post
Looking for some quick help - I'm trying to refinish a slate floor before I have surrounding hardwood refinished on Monday!

The existing slate was installed in 1959, and has been coated with something that doesn't look good - see pic:

Attachment 70317

suspecting wax, i went to home depot and from their stone section bought an abrasive stipper that was ok for natural stone. I followed the instructions, and tried a 2sqft area, scrubbing with a nylon abrasive pad. Nothing happened. I let the liquid set for a while and tried again. Nothing - nothing at all. In frustration i picked up my putty knife and scratched at it - immediately, the top coat gave way. I then tried it on a dry area, and it gave way too there. It didn't seem to scratch the slate underneath.

Trouble is, i've got about 100sqft of this, and can't use the putty knife on all of it! What do i do? My local Home depot has those floor scrubbing things for rent - do i get one with a really appressive real and just whirl it on dry?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks,
Matt
Beautiful floor and I agree the coating sucks. Problem with slate (and many other stones) is that they absorb huge amounts of water unless sealed very well. But the good commercial sealers available today don't produce that waxy finish that I see in your photo.

Do you have a tile store in your town? if so, try asking them what to do. Talk to the manager if possible, rather than the sales folks (though the good ones will either know or escalate up to someone who does.) They will know xxx times what you can find out at HD or Lowe's and will continue to help you forever. Try several. Free advice is cheap, though it requires sifting.

Good luck and tell us if you find a solution.

Wish I could help you but...

philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,792

slate floor help

Try this as an experiment----soak a bath towel in hot ammonia water mix----
Lay that on the stone and leave it for a while---see if that lifts the old coating---

I've done it on an old slate floor and the years of wax came loose---I used old bed sheets as the area was large---