Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

slab wall separation

Hello,

trying to remodel a bathroom on a slab floor. When we started removing the cove base on old tile we noticed a gap between the floor (horizontal) and the wall (vertical). That got my attention, we looked closely at the connecting "T" wall behind the toilet and saw separation from the floor up about 3.5 feet and that continued on into both adjoing bedroom closets on the same wall. (It is an outside wall) Not much visible exterior movement allthough there is some (small cracks) but nothing like what is inside. I have attached a picture.

The previous owner told us he thought it was a "floating slab"?

It appears to be old but dont really know. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
slab wall separation-dscn3252.jpg  

mkgilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Tileguy

slab wall separation

Let's try this.

Now...say again. What's the problem?

I'm not understanding the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
slab wall separation-dscn3252.jpg  

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #3

slab wall separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgilliam View Post
Hello,

trying to remodel a bathroom on a slab floor. When we started removing the cove base on old tile we noticed a gap between the floor (horizontal) and the wall (vertical). That got my attention, we looked closely at the connecting "T" wall behind the toilet and saw separation from the floor up about 3.5 feet and that continued on into both adjoing bedroom closets on the same wall. (It is an outside wall) Not much visible exterior movement allthough there is some (small cracks) but nothing like what is inside. I have attached a picture.

The previous owner told us he thought it was a "floating slab"?

It appears to be old but dont really know. Any suggestions?

Are you sure that the actual floor and wall have seperated from one another?
Is the bathroom floor perhaps a bit higher than the rest of your basement floor? Do you think maybe they poured a small slab overtop the previous basement floor slab for levelling purposes or to maybe make it easier for running underground drains etc etc....less demo and this way any new drain pipes could be covered over with newer concrete.

Its tough to tell by the picture but if the floor and wall were seperated what do u see in between? Can u see and earth (dirt) moisture etc etc.

Maybe if u could post another picture or 2.

57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #4

slab wall separation

inbetween the wall and floor (the gap) is app 3/4 to 1 inch wide. App. 6 inches down (in the gap) there appears to be concrete. There is no basement.
The wall behind the toilet (I will post some more picts) is separated also but only at the base up until around 3 to 4 feet. The adjoining rooms (closets) have the same issue. (the outside wall has moved horizontally) This is a two story house app 45 years old with very little evidence of anything other than normal settleling on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
slab wall separation-dscn3249.jpg   slab wall separation-dscn3250.jpg   slab wall separation-dscn3251.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Tileguy

slab wall separation

OK let me lay down to look at that last picture.

In the picture where you have your fingers in the crack I will suggest this scenario. It won't explain the wall moving but it could explain the depth of the crack.

That tile is fifty (or more) year old wall tile that used to be used on bathroom floors. The color and size indicates the age of the tile. Fifty years ago bathroom floor tiles where all installed over a bed of thick cement. That's the old fashion way and it works very well by the way. I think that's why the depth of the crack is what it is. No telling what the cement is on (if anything).

Obviously this doesn't explain the apparent wall movement.

So was there baseboard in that crack?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #6

slab wall separation

not base board but a tile like "cove base" It is apperent that the wall has moved horizontally app 3/4 to 1" I havn't been able to get into the wall yet to see if the "bottom plate" of the wall has sheered it's anchors.